Foam Glas source in either NC or CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Glas source in either NC or CO

I'm looking for a local supplier for FoamGlas block - the build will be in NC but I'll soon be driving to CO so that could work as well. This will go under the firebrick hearth and I've read here that the FoamGlas blocks are a better choice (vs. CalSil like ThermoGold 12) since the FoamGlas material is less likely to be damaged by water.
    My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

I used both, FoamGlas on bottom, won't absorb water, easy to cut but also brittle and not very abrasive resistance so care must be taken during construction of the dome. Thermogold 12 (CaSi) went on top has a higher temp rating than Foam Glas 900 vs 1200F. More precautions needed when cutting CaSi.

Distribution International is a distributor. They are nationwide and there is a branch in Greensboro, NC.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

How thick were the two layers?
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

+2 on Russell's post.

Also, once CalSil is dried out it is as good as new. FoamGlas is an excelent material to elevate the primary insulatation (CalSil or ceramic fiber board imo) above the hearth slab where water can often accumulate from leaks. Elevating the insulation above the hearth slab helps in two ways. If the water comes from above, it can drain to a lower level, helping in drying the insulation. If the leak is from the hearth level (which is common in igloo designs), it will not get up to the floor insulation to ever cause a problem. When I built my oven, Distribution International were only located on the gulf coast and somewhat up the easter seaboard. Like Russell said "They are (now) nation wide". If Greensboro, NC is not close to you, I bet that you will pass by at least one outlet on your way to Colorado. I advise talking to them on the phone before you go. Use the trade names when talking to the salesman. Example: CalSil is a trade name. (CaSi) Calcium Silicate may or may not be a familiar term with the salesman. Distribution International is an industrial insulation supplier, so they are more used to talking with industrial construction insulators and they should be a good souirsce for all the products mentioned .
        Last edited by Gulf; 06-24-2017, 06:11 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

2" FG and 1.5" CaSi
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I got both Foamglas and thermogold at Distribution International. Shopped it hard and it was the best deal. I went with 2" of each.

Comment

Working...
            X