Foam Glass Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Glass Question

I have not posted before but i was on ebay and found 1.5x18x 24 foamglas 12 sheets for 50.00 +22.00 shiping Ihope I can use just that for under floor insulaion.

That is a unreal (great) price for that amount of FoamGlas. It is a great base layer on the hearth since it will not absorb water but it does have a max service temp of 900F, will you see 900F on the bottom side of your floor brick, I don't know. I used FoamGlas on the bottom layer topped with CaSi board on top.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      ...it does have a max service temp of 900F, will you see 900F on the bottom side of your floor brick, I don't know. I used FoamGlas on the bottom layer topped with CaSi board on top.
      I also used FoamGlas under my floor. I covered it with 3" of perlcrete before setting my hearth bricks to address the 900°F max. temperature rating of the FoamGlas.

My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

very cheap...almost to good to be true....i hope its not a cheap imitation of the real product. its also not super heavy but has some weight to it. $22 is pretty cheap shipping too. I picked up my foamglas for $2.98 sq ft. from distribution International Just do your research and make sure.
        My Build Pictures
        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I just bought it two days ago he says he has 16 cases 12 peices 18x24 pictures of product says corning on it only thing he says thay are ruffed up and I told him he had to pack it good as it does not ship well check out his listing let me know. I am disappointed I still may have have to buy other insulation.How much do i need.I have one more question i bought a 48" stainless steel pipe with mounting bracket for 30.00 can i use it on a 36"oven.

Comment

Sorry the pipe I bought is 8"

Comment

I am new to foum I just have a quick question a am trying to collect what i need to build a 36" oven Ibought a 48" stainless 8" pipe can I use it on 36" oven I bought it for 30.00 on craigslist.

Comment

Min 6" for ovens 32-36" ID so 8" is great.Really cannot over vent.
                Russell

Comment

Thank You russell I appreciate it I was the one who ordered foamglas on ebay have not received it yet will let people know how it works out. look At a web site called truebrickoven.com and he uses just foamglas for under floor insulation I am still hoping I can still be able to just use foamglas that wood just save money and not worry about insulation getting wet THANK YOU

Comment

I have talked to Dave Neufeld from TrueBrickOven.com HE builds ovens for a living you should check out his web site he uses just foamglas under floor brick and no ceramic board So with that information I am only going to useit for under the floor that way I dont have to worry about water in ceramic board

Comment

I just received my order of foamglas friday arrived in good condition it was one big box. I still want everyone opinon on just using only the foamglas for under floor insulation I have enough for 4.5 inches . I already posted why I think I can do it I would value everyone's opinion.Ifigured I would get some kind of debate on it so Iwill try again need to make final decision,if I have to buy the ceramic board.Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Have you any info on how strong the stuff is? It needs to be about 100 psi for adequate strength. At 900 F top service temp i’d be topping it with 1” of 5:1 vermicrete, especially if it has been knocked around in transit. Because foamglas doesn’t absorb water it is the ideal material for any oven that’s out in the weather. That quality will also make adding vermicrete on top much easier.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The product i received is from Pittsburgh Corning Fresno TX That is all I Know .Can you please check out his website I think you would find It Interesting He makes perfect ovens and that is all he uses for floor insulation .He makes ovens for commercial and indoor outdoor ovens.

Comment

There seem to be five different products in the range. Not sure what you have, but check their data sheet here.
                            https://industry.foamglas.com/en-gb/...ces/datasheets
                            Last edited by david s; 04-07-2019, 08:14 PM.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I briefly looked at all the specs and one thing that popped out was the 900 F max service temp dropped to mid 700 F when loaded. This could be a concern since these ovens are so heavy. You would certainly not want the FoamGlas to fail and the oven shift. As David suggest, a small layer of Vcrete would take care of this and act as a temperature buffer.
                              Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X