Purchasing Fiber Blanket on Amazon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Fiber Blanket on Amazon ?

Has anyone ever bought Ceramic Fiber Blanket Rolls, on Amazon ? Any suggestions on who to use ?

I USED THIS. had grat reviews and after alot of research, i believe this will do just wonderfully without spending too much.
    I had to use 1.5 rolls to get 2" of insulation. 3" is used on larger ovens, i think 36" or larger... but not too sure on that.
    Forno Bravo manufacturers the world's finest pizza oven. Explore the largest selection of pizza ovens and pizza ovens kits, proudly made in the USA
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-27-2021, 11:04 AM. Reason: Removing direct commercial links
    A Link to my Pompeii Build - " Mountain Mamma" "https://photos.app.goo.gl/bw61eottTZP36cPGA

Comment

I used a single layers of Rockwool ComfortBat. It comes in 15" x 47" sheets that are 3.5" thick and is available at many home supply stores. It compressed down to about 3" once perlcrete was added over the batting. It has held up well and the outside of the oven is about 100°F when the inside is 950-1000°F.
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

I purchased mine through Distribution International. They have distribution sites throughout the country & had a roll delivered it to my doorstep in 3 days. The blanket I ordered is rated to 1200F and cost less than Amazon.

Comment

Thank you for the helpful thread! I guess single layers of Rockwool ComfortBat would fit my needs. Can I order it from my smartphone? I heard there is a kind of app, am I right?

Comment

You need to do some more research on using Rockwool Comfort Bat and where you would use it and how. Typically you should be using a ceramic blanket on the dome.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Here is what I found and what convinced me to use it as a lower cost alternative to ceramic blanket material:
              Roxul ComfortBatt:

ASTM C 665 - Type I Blankets without membrane coverings.

reaction to fire: Flame spread index = 0 ; Smoke developed index = 0

Behavior of materials at 750°C (1382°F) - Non Combustible (ASTM E136)

density: > 2 lbs/ft3

Yes, ceramic blanket can go to higher temperature, but is you oven really going to get over 1400°F?

see also https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ce-of-fb-board for more real world performance.
              My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

I merely saying AS needs to do thorough research on using this material and "how" it is used, for example ceramic fiber blanket has a density of 6-8 pcf so less prone to compression since this will reduce the insulation value of the material. If this worked for you that is great since you have a pcrete overlayer which that in itself if a insulation layer. AS could even consider Pcrete as the insulation layer alone.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I’m all for seeking cheaper alternatives and have been down this road. For my first oven I used fibreglass ceiling bats with foil on one side. Having scored the stuff free the price was right. It stood up to the ovens heat ok but the main difficulty was that it compressed way too easily so was extremely difficult to cut and fit sections together, then then maintain the form without compressing too much. It worked better as under floor insulation as I used large firebricks supported by insulating firebrick props with the fibreglass insulation in between. Because the earlier generation of ceramic fibre blanket is designated a Class2 carcinogen, I did not want to use it in my product. The newer generation of blanket which is exonerated as a carcinogen was far too pricey so I used 10:1 vermicrete and no blanket, for years. The price for the new blanket has come down and because it cuts and fits so beautifully, that is what I now use. In an effort to save a bit I did use Rockwool blanket for two ovens, but the cost saving is not worth it. As an insulator it is almost as good as CFB, but it’s low density and texture make it difficult to cut and fit as well as making a poor substrate for a vermicrete layer. By all means give it a go, but I think you’ll make the same discoveries I did.
                  Last edited by david s; 02-15-2022, 02:05 PM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X