X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg M
    replied
    Re: Finding local building materials

This is my first time using a forum for anything so I hope I am doing this correctly. If not any guidence would be apprecieated.

I have an oven that is a custom made masonry type that is wood fired and is exterior in an outdoor kitchen. For reasons that would take too long to explain I need to convert it to gas. I already have propane for two large gas grills next to it and want to install a gas burner in the oven. The interior is approximately 4? x 5? and about 20? high. I would need to get the oven up to between 500 and 700 degrees for my needs. I guess I am looking for a burner with fittings to retro fit it. I hope this is enough information, if not please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Reno
    replied

Originally posted by dsyl1 View Post
    hey all, I live in maryland and was hoping to build an oven according to the pompeii plans. I wanted to get the kit but the cost of shipping is greater than that of the kit... what type of firebrick should i be looking for and where is a good source (for all of the materials) If there is an east coast supplier or reccomended source

At any block company u will find every thing

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the oven man
    replied

Give me a call if you need materials on 0451470371.

Leave a comment:

• robertmac
    replied

thanks Johnny. i think that may be the best option.
    cheers,
    robert

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the oven man
    replied

Just use old 'styrene fruit boxes and sand. Easy to remove and you dont use a lot of sand.

Leave a comment:

• les.farrell@activ8.net.au
    replied

I'm not sure where you can buy one that is ready made, but it need's to be remembered that whatever you use, as a form, needs to be removed after the oven is built.

I have cut one out of several pieces of ply and intend to install them in such a way that I can remove them piece by piece.

Cheers,

Les

Leave a comment:

• robertmac
    replied

hi,
    does anyone know where i can buy a polystrene form in Australiato build the dome on a one metre WFO. alternatively, are there any places overseas that will ship one to me.
    i have all the other materials but i am really concerned about the dome. I figure the form will help.
    robert

Leave a comment:

• les.farrell@activ8.net.au
    replied

G'day, can you tell me where you sourced your flue kit, if you have, I live in Gin Gin Qld.

Leave a comment:

• dsyl1
    replied

does it make a difference if I use low duty or medium duty fire brick.... Both are about $1.50 a piece

Leave a comment:

• dsyl1
    replied

thanks for the advice guys, i am sure that i'll be back with more questions
    thanx again
    D

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Many of these materials can be sourced locally. The place to start is your local brickyard/masonry supply. Consult the yellowpages or Google maps. The refractory insulation products are a little more tricky, but most major cities have a refractory material dealer, or a ceramic kiln place that can get the stuff for you. The large bags of vermiculite/perlite come from a wholesale garden supply, or pool supply place.

Good luck with your project.

Leave a comment:

• dsyl1
    replied

hey all, I live in maryland and was hoping to build an oven according to the pompeii plans. I wanted to get the kit but the cost of shipping is greater than that of the kit... what type of firebrick should i be looking for and where is a good source (for all of the materials) If there is an east coast supplier or reccomended source

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

For those Aussies looking for a good supplier:

Thermal Ceramics Australia (Head Office & Plant)
    10-14 Togood Avenue, Beverley (ask for Fiona, a very helpful lady)
    SA 5009 Australia
    Tel + 61 (8) 8243 5300
    Fax: +61 (8) 8243 0571
    Email: australia@thermalceramics.com

Furnace Industries (Plant)
    Jandakot Plant
    Lot 13 Cutler Road, Jandakot 6064
    Western Australia
    Tel + 61 (8) 9417 9600
    Fax: +61 (8) 9417 3991
    Email: furnace.industries@thermalceramics.com

Neill

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

Local resourses that have experience with high heat products, ranging from mortars to insulation to iron fittings are your local potters (kilns) and blacksmiths.

These people will usually have a local club or association and will be more than willing to help you find odd ball stuff.

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Location Australia SYDNEY NSW

I found Field Furnace Refractories Pty Ltd to be very helpfull
    Last edited by John K; 11-26-2009, 04:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X