This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding local building materials

Welcome to the newest FB Forum category -- Finding Local Building Materials. Post your questions and recommendations for the best places to find local resources in your home town.

Please do not make commercial postings here selling materials -- only FB can do that. :-)

If you can't find materials locally, or you don't want to shop, you can buy board and blanket insulation, mortar, chimneys, the Pompeii Oven kit, FB modular ovens and oven accessories from the Forno Bravo Store. I many parts of the US, the Pompeii Oven kit is actually less expensive (including shipping) than buying the materials locally. That ends this FB advertisement.

Build! Cook! Enjoy!

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Finding local building materials

Australia -Queensland Boyne Island
    I managed to get some Calcium Silicate Board from Pyrotek. Check them out at Pyrotek - Home Page. They have a heap of different materials. I decided on the calcium silicate board because it came in a large format (1.2mx1.28m x 38mm) and matched the duty pretty well. They have outlets around the world and were very helpful.
    Attached Files
    My Photo Album
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...adventure.html

Comment

Location Australia SYDNEY NSW

I found Field Furnace Refractories Pty Ltd to be very helpfull
      Last edited by John K; 11-26-2009, 04:16 AM.
      John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Local resourses that have experience with high heat products, ranging from mortars to insulation to iron fittings are your local potters (kilns) and blacksmiths.

These people will usually have a local club or association and will be more than willing to help you find odd ball stuff.

Comment

For those Aussies looking for a good supplier:

Thermal Ceramics Australia (Head Office & Plant)
          10-14 Togood Avenue, Beverley (ask for Fiona, a very helpful lady)
          SA 5009 Australia
          Tel + 61 (8) 8243 5300
          Fax: +61 (8) 8243 0571
          Email: australia@thermalceramics.com

Furnace Industries (Plant)
          Jandakot Plant
          Lot 13 Cutler Road, Jandakot 6064
          Western Australia
          Tel + 61 (8) 9417 9600
          Fax: +61 (8) 9417 3991
          Email: furnace.industries@thermalceramics.com

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

hey all, I live in maryland and was hoping to build an oven according to the pompeii plans. I wanted to get the kit but the cost of shipping is greater than that of the kit... what type of firebrick should i be looking for and where is a good source (for all of the materials) If there is an east coast supplier or reccomended source
            Some do it the Hard Way. Some Do it The Easy Way.Most Do it the "right" way. and none do it the same way. Oh, and the wrong way is reserved for those who just dont do it!

Comment

Many of these materials can be sourced locally. The place to start is your local brickyard/masonry supply. Consult the yellowpages or Google maps. The refractory insulation products are a little more tricky, but most major cities have a refractory material dealer, or a ceramic kiln place that can get the stuff for you. The large bags of vermiculite/perlite come from a wholesale garden supply, or pool supply place.

Good luck with your project.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks for the advice guys, i am sure that i'll be back with more questions
                thanx again
                D
                Some do it the Hard Way. Some Do it The Easy Way.Most Do it the "right" way. and none do it the same way. Oh, and the wrong way is reserved for those who just dont do it!

Comment

does it make a difference if I use low duty or medium duty fire brick.... Both are about $1.50 a piece

Comment

G'day, can you tell me where you sourced your flue kit, if you have, I live in Gin Gin Qld.

Comment

hi,
                      does anyone know where i can buy a polystrene form in Australiato build the dome on a one metre WFO. alternatively, are there any places overseas that will ship one to me.
                      i have all the other materials but i am really concerned about the dome. I figure the form will help.
                      robert

Comment

I'm not sure where you can buy one that is ready made, but it need's to be remembered that whatever you use, as a form, needs to be removed after the oven is built.

I have cut one out of several pieces of ply and intend to install them in such a way that I can remove them piece by piece.

Cheers,

Les

Comment

Just use old 'styrene fruit boxes and sand. Easy to remove and you dont use a lot of sand.

Comment

thanks Johnny. i think that may be the best option.
                            cheers,
                            robert

Comment

Give me a call if you need materials on 0451470371.

Comment

Working...
                              X