replied
    Re: Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

Looks like an ideal solution.

Leave a comment:

• Muscats
    replied

thanks for the replys

fxpose, I was looking at the lazy suzan option but was unsure about the resulting flat centre.

David s, your idea is the one I was leaning towards. My oven will have insulation bricks under the floor, so no need to chip away the insualtion layer and it should be easier to replace the insulation bricks and floor tiles while still maintaining a level floor. The only issue I see is that I will probably have to make and Indispensable Tool with a bend in it to avoid removing too many tiles and bricks

I have attached a sketch of how I was thinking it would work

Paul

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

If you remove some of the bricks in the centre of the oven and even chip away some of the vermicrete insulation, then the base of your tool could be located a lot lower, but you then have to replace insulation and bricks so the floor is level.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Hi, I plan on using an off-center axis guide (for the first few courses up) to achieve the lower dome height. I'm using a gate hinge to keep the hinge point as close to the floor as possible.
    I will assemble the tool this weekend.

Here's a couple of crude drawings of the tool I posted here a few months back (except I won't be using a lazy suzan, as it adds additional height to the tool):
    Last edited by fxpose; 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Muscats
    started a topic Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

Hi everyone;

I will be starting an oven in the near future and have a few technical question to settle things in my mind before I get started.

So my first question is about dome shape and lowering the dome height.

I plan on using the "Indispensable Tool" and have read a few posts about its use and the tendency for it to make the dome slight high due to the hinge making the base of the tool higher than the floor of the oven.
    So is it logical that if I make the attachment point for the tool lower than the floor of the oven I would get a corresponding lower overall dome height while keeping the dome symmetrical?

Paul

p.s. this build will be in Burra NSW just south of Canberra Australia
Working...
X