Wish me luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck

Started this weekend and here is my site so far... i am increasing the size of my "patio" and adding in the stand (oven to follow soon i hope). need to find some insboard or other insulation board. i live just outside of DC in Maryland..... any suggestions?... if not wish me luck, and i"ll post as progress allows
    Some do it the Hard Way. Some Do it The Easy Way.Most Do it the "right" way. and none do it the same way. Oh, and the wrong way is reserved for those who just dont do it!

Re: Wish me luck

Good Luck with the weather!

It is so frustrating when you have dug a hole and prepared the ground and then the skies open up and fill your formwork with water.
    Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
    (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Put a bulkhead across the "Y" part and do it in two pours - a day apart.

If you do it in one pour you will have a crack there (I predict).

Comment

I guarantee it. Personally, I would cut the wire at that point and pour them as independent slabs.

Comment

You could cut joints after the pour to control the cracks. It is concrete - it WILL crack, on the upside, no one will steal it.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

If I were mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow or in a small mixer I'd do in 3 separate pours, 2 joints separating 3 slabs.

George
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

D - I also live in Maryland outside of DC. I bought my insulation board from Forno Bravo. I saw in another post that you were looking for firebrick. Did you find some? I called over a dozen local masonry suppliers and found that L.C. Smith Brick in Alexandria, Virginia had the least expensive medium-duty firebricks in the area: $1.10/each. That was in 2008, so it's likely to have changed but worth a call.

For HeatStop, I went to Potomac Valley Brick in Rockville and for Vermiculite, Seasons Wholesale Nursery in Gaithersburg.

Hope that helps.

Comment

thanks for all of the info. I picked up mid duty and heat stop from PV in rockville, and i hope to get the board from a company in beltsville (there calling me back)... for those concerned, thanks and i will pour in separate slabs (if it ever stops raining)... Again, Wish me luck???
                Some do it the Hard Way. Some Do it The Easy Way.Most Do it the "right" way. and none do it the same way. Oh, and the wrong way is reserved for those who just dont do it!

Comment

expandion joints material

I think use this Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft. Expansion Joint - 691703 at The Home Depot

Then u will have less cracks

Comment

Large or irregular slabs will crack, especially if you have an "inside" corner. The trick is to make then crack where you want. Controlling the cracking is usually done by a construction joint (formed by separate pours) or by cutting a joint 3/4 to 1 inch deep within a day of the pour.

Comment

busy weekend,
                      Had my slabs poured earlier this week and got my stand done. so i was able to pour my hearth today. I decided to go a full course higher on my stand , it seems a bit more comfortable for me (hope i do not regret it later). So i am now waiting for my insulation to come in (should be midweek). i was unable to source 2" ceramic board so i ordered 1" but will double up. I assume the weight of the oven will be enough to hold the layered boards in place (i hope so)
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	281079Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0009.jpg
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	281080

Name:	CIMG0010.jpg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	281081

Name:	CIMG0011.jpg
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	281082

Comment

Lookin good so far

Peter
                        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Progress! I know it feels good!
                          Jay

Comment

I assume the weight of the oven will be enough to hold the layered boards in place (i hope so)
                            Sure will! Well, assuming "normal" weather conditions I guess.
                            My Clay Oven build:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Working...
                            X