Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Oven Stand

Hi Guys,

I'm doing my intitial research for a WFO (pompeii, probably ~42"), and for a few reasons (rental house, semi-perm installation), I would like to build it on a steel tube frame stand (like Toyota8's mobile one). I have decided to put it on castors or somehow concrete it into place.

So I have two questions:
    (1) what size steel is needed to support the oven's weight? I would probably go with a similar design to Toyota8's with 6 legs (more if necessary). I was looking at 25mmx25mmx1.6 (1"x1"x1/16" - if my conversion is correct), but I don't know if that is large enough...it's a considerable price increase to 50mmx50mm, but would do it if needed.

(2) is there an easy way to install it into individual concrete 'pads', rather than making a giant slab? Can the tube just be sunk into the concrete, or does it need to be mounted on top of the concrete?

I hope I have made some sense

Cheers,
    Ross

Re: Steel Oven Stand

Hi Ross and welcome aboard.
    Good to see another from 'down under' on this great forum.
    I personally would not use 25 x 25 x 1.6mm tube but better 50 x 50 x 3mm. securely welded, you will not need a great deal of bracing and this will easily support the oven on only 4 legs. The bulk of the oven weight will be on the perimeter so watch out for the strength in this area.
    You will need to support close to a half ton and it will need to be sturdy. You could concrete the post into the ground but why not keep it free and movable, even if picked up and moved with a tractor forklift when you move.
    Not everyone wants an oven.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
      Not everyone wants an oven.
      What kind of weirdos are these ? LOL

Thanks for the reply Neill. I could certainly put in on casters and have it wheeled out from undercover when in use...I actually like that idea. However, I would never be able to take it with me in built condition. There is no way to get a forklift to it - one side passge to backyard - can't even get a wheel barrow down due to air-con and heating units.

If it could be carried by hand down the hill in the backyard to the back fence, there is the possibility of getting a tractor forklift there (but still have to lift it over hte fence as the gate is too narrow. We back onto bush and have a 5m firebreak area....a few houses down is a driveway width access path.

I had resigned to the fact I'd have to demolish, and hope to re-use the bricks - that'll be my next thread I think.

Cheers,
      Ross.

Comment

I had resigned to the fact I'd have to demolish, and hope to re-use the bricks
        One of our builders (Frances) successfully built an oven with only fireclay and sand as the mortar. You have to keep it absolutely dry, but when you wanted to move, you could just peel off the blanket, hose off the mortar, and stack the bricks in the truck.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks dmun, I'll have to search out info on that and see if it is feasible for my situation ! Sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by RossAus View Post
            Hi Guys,

I'm doing my intitial research for a WFO (pompeii, probably ~42"), and for a few reasons (rental house, semi-perm installation), I would like to build it on a steel tube frame stand (like Toyota8's mobile one). I have decided to put it on castors or somehow concrete it into place.

So I have two questions:
            (1) what size steel is needed to support the oven's weight? I would probably go with a similar design to Toyota8's with 6 legs (more if necessary). I was looking at 25mmx25mmx1.6 (1"x1"x1/16" - if my conversion is correct), but I don't know if that is large enough...it's a considerable price increase to 50mmx50mm, but would do it if needed.

(2) is there an easy way to install it into individual concrete 'pads', rather than making a giant slab? Can the tube just be sunk into the concrete, or does it need to be mounted on top of the concrete?

I hope I have made some sense

Cheers,
            Ross
            I went to an second hand commercial racking supplier and they made me a frame from racking that can hold 3000kg. My total oven finished might only be 700kg. I clad it with fibre cement sheeting and then rendered it. A very cost effective way to build a base - probably $400 all up.

Comment

Working...
            X