Rain and my unfinished oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain and my unfinished oven

Hello all, My oven is basically finished with a good cured mortar layer over my insulation. I will likely be tiling with a mosaic or slate. Ive cured the oven properly and used it several times and all has gone well. Here's my question is the mortar porous enough where rain would soak back in and cause re introduction of moisture? Ive got it covered but with big winds its questionable and is still getting some rain.There is a a sealing product my mason recommended but i hesitate to do anything until the weather clears? Thx for any advice

Re: Rain and my unfinished oven

Yes, unless its sealed or covered with a roof moisture will always be a problem.

I sealed mine with acrylic paint bit it wasnt enough, Ive now got a roof over the entire area.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Once you've done the initial cure you shouldn't need to go back to do the whole curing process again, but after heavy rain it's a good idea to do a drying fire the day before you want to cook. If it has moisture in it then more of the energy put in is used to convert the water to steam, resulting in a slower temp build up.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"is the mortar porous enough where rain would soak back in"

Yes. Cover it with a tarp when not in use. Here is what mine looks like:
        Last edited by Neil2; 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Also be careful what you seal it with if your ultimate goal is to mosaic it. Some types of sealers will not allow you to do so.

Comment

Thanks All, Do you suggest it be covered even after mosaiced then?

Comment

Another? What product would you suggest for a good seal and can that product still be mosaiced. Or are some of you saying that no matter how i finish the dome should be covered in inclement weather?

Comment

If you can find Thoroseal, that is your fastest, easiest, cheapest way to seal it and also allow you to mosaic it. You will need nothing else after that.

Comment

Working...
                X