Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory over a barrel mold

Simple question:
    Anything wrong with using a 55 gal. plastic drum cut in half and form Refractory Cement over that? Obviously the door would have to be molded separately, and it should be molded in pieces, (to account for expansion later without cracking the whole thing).
    Total Newbie here just doin' my research.

Re: Refractory over a barrel mold

also.......premixed or homemade cladding?

Comment

I don't normally answer refractory castable questions, but I think there might be an issue with shrinkage, using a rigid form. I'd ask your castable suppler about forms.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

My primary concern is: Is it a viable option?
        I plan to cast it in pieces to negate the possibility of cracking. Shrinkage, I'm not worried about as this will BE the oven (portable, used only maybe three times a month)
        any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you make up the castable using the correct amount of water, the shrinkage is negligable because the aggregate used in proprietary mixes is clay which has already been fired, therefore no shrinkage of wet clay particles. If you cast over the plastic drum you will need to cut the drum out in pieces from the inside. This may be more difficult than you envisage. How thick do you intend the castable refractory layer to be? I do not understand your Q. re cladding, can you elaborate?
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the reply David....
            I plan to cast over the drum, then turn it over and remove the drum mold. THEN place the cast on a firebrick hearth and cover it all with unsulating blanket/vermiculite etc.
            I can't see any difference in my project and a purchased pre-molded oven.
            I do have a severe shortage of ca$h and have always been one to innovate rather than pay retail....just tryin' to cut costs.
            again, I'm only using this oven down at the campground...I'm also building a Scott oven at my home by the book.....

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
              and have always been one to innovate rather than pay retail.
              Same here..

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
              I'm also building a Scott oven at my home by the book.....
              One of the faults with his ovens is the fact that the dome is not bonded, you must bond to achieve maximum strength otherwise the dome could delaminate along the join lines.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You lost me there Brickie.....forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "bond"?....

Comment

My dome above is bonded, that is that the bricks on the next course are lapping half of the brick on the previous course, etc etc.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Actually, I thought about that when I first started looking into building an oven......I'll certainly do that when I build the Scott oven.

Comment

Working...
                    X