Questions for a new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions for a new build

The "cladding" closest to the dome is Kaolite refractory insulation, 2" thick. I applied it a handfull at a time packing it in good all around. Several bags came with the kit. The outer is perlite/Portland cement at 5:1 ratio. I used a gauge with a center-pin to measure the thickness of the perlite mix as I went along.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

"I also didn't have to edge trowel "

It is always a good idea to edge trowel any slab. If you don't, the initial slight curing shrinkage will leave you with a slight "dish" edge which may end up being a water trap.

Comment

can someone explain what "edge trowel" means and how I go about doing it?
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...ild-15677.html

Picasa Photo Library:
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1020617...72/WFOProject#

Comment

Hi Neil2,

Yes, you're right. A slight dish will appear at the edge of the slab from shrinkage, and sure enough, it does catch a little water. However, my slab is fully enclosed and tiled at the front, none of it is exposed to rain. Edging it was just exercise.

For those builders that place concrete for structural or decorative elements of their ovens or outdoor kitchens edge troweling is a must if it will be exposed. Newbies might be tempted to begin working the cement before it is ready, and if it is started a little bit too late, then it is difficult to work the stones down and retain a smooth edge. When done at the right time the finished product is a thing of beauty, very satisfying. It gives a very "finished" look to the job. An oven sized slab is easy, a patio or driveway is a lot more work if done on hands and knees though. Get the right tool for the job and you'll be a pro in no time at all.

Cdubs, Neil2 posted a picture of an edge trowel, above. They also come with wooden handles and are not expensive. I've had mine for years. Clean it up and take care of it when you're done and it will always be ready when you are. Same as for any tool.

Cheers,
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I suggest using the edge trowel right after pouring and floating / leveling the concrete. Use lightly, just enough to "push" the larger aggregate particles in away from the edge.

Use it again lightly after about 1/2 hour and once more when doing the final finishing after skim over.

Its actually even easier than it sounds and gives your work a nice "professional" touch. They are relatively small tools, about 6 inches long and 3 inches wide and will run $7 to $10, and as Bob says, if cleaned and put away will last forever.

If you live in an urban area, take a look at the sidewalk in front of your house. An edge trowel was almost certainly used and that is what produces the rolled edge and border effect.
            Last edited by Neil2; 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X