question about location of oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about location of oven

hi, i have been reading and learning a lot in this forum over the last weeks - thanks to everyone for posting.

i am still in the planning stage, but was wondering if it would be possible/advisable to put a WFO underneath an existing deck, which has 3 open sides. the underside of the deck is made out of corrugated iron sheets (to catch the water from above and divert it to the outside). the oven wouod be sitting on the brickwall of the house.

how much distance would i need from the top of the flue to the corrugated iron for the oven to draw properly?
    or would the flue need to be extended and routed to the outside of the deck area?
    hope that made sense.

thanks in advance for answers.

fritz

Re: question about location of oven

Unless you plan on routing the oven flu to extend above the house, I would be weary of locating the oven under the porch. My oven is a good 30' from my house. Depending on the direction of the wind, I still have smoke wafting into my windows. While the smoke only last awhile, it can still be annoying. Having the oven as close to the house as you suggest just makes this problem bigger. You will also want to strongly consider some type of spark suppression system for the flu if you go ahead w/this plan. Wouldn't want a hot coal coming out of the flu and onto the house.

Comment

thanks for your answer - makes sense.

now that i read my question again, i should have come to that conclusion myself (guess i didn't see the forest for all the trees)...

just need to look for a new and better location.

thanks again

fritz

Comment

Building code says the top of your flue has to be two feet above any structure within ten feet. Also, connecting it to the house may mean code compliance and insurance difficulties.

Having your oven covered is a good idea. It stays dry, and you don't need to wait for good weather to use it. Venting it under the roof is not a good idea.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You should check with your city about setbacks. I am required to be 10 feet from any combustible surface (house, fence, etc...) To be honest, when I called the city, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about - they sent me to the fire department (they had the answer).
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
          X