Concrete Slab Depth and Reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete Slab Depth and Reinforcement

Getting the rep out there sounds like a great idea, unless they're going to charge you for it!

I would suggest the problem is this; your mix may have been slightly dry when you poured it, but then the really critical part is that the concrete wasn't vibrated thoroughly. Have you ever seen a stiff mix of concrete being vibrated? It behaves like a liquid, and flows into all corners and around the reo. Without some kind of immersed vibration, dryish concrete even if tamped down, will potentially set with voids all through it. Check out this Youtube clip showing some relatively dry concrete being vibrated to see what I mean; Concrete Sample under Vibration

I'm the Precast Concrete engineer for a large freeway construction project here in Melbourne, so I play with concrete all day! The key to working with stiff concrete is to vibrate it into place (among other things we use pencil vibrators - looks like a brush cutter with a big... well.. 'thick metal rod' on the end that vibrates like mad). If you don't use one of these, at least get a trowel or shovel or something and just give the mix a really good 'poking', this will help the cement slurry work its way around the aggregate and allow air bubbles to work their way to the surface. Definitely do this when you pour your hearth slab, and you'll see the difference.
    The Melbourne Fire Brick Company

Comment

" If I pour a quart of water on it, the water disappears like magic"

I suggest you take it all out and do it over. A slab with that kind of voids is likely to fail.

Comment

Could you put up some photos of your slab so we can get a visual for what you're dealing with?

Comment

Quickcrete rep is stopping by at 8am tomorrow. No fee. We'll see what he has to say.

I'll try to post some photos tonight.

Comment

Here's a pic of the problematic base.

Comment

I can see what you mean - I think I was picturing a small area in the centre of the slab that was affected by this, but it's the entire slab, through the full thickness.

What did the Quickcrete rep have to say? If you have followed their instructions to the letter as you said, then they clearly did not provide you with sufficient information and are thereby at fault - I'd be asking them to pay for the removal of the slab AND to provide you with replacement bagged concrete. As I've said previously, the slab will still be able to take the load, however Neil is right when he says it will eventually fail, due to water ingress and subsequent freeze/thaw cycles. Putting a layer of grout on the top won't seal the slab completely, as you can see the sides are porous as well, and presumably so is the underside. If the rep can come up with a way of properly sealing the slab (such as flooding the entire slab with low viscosity epoxy resin to fill ALL of the voids - an expensive solution) then it's worth considering, but DANG. That sucks Fermentor...

Comment

The rep evaluated the slab and said it will be fine, as long as I coat it with the sand-mix topping. He recommended 1/4".

He said that, if I'd have smoothed the surface, I would have been fine. It would have sealed. By placing the sand-mix atop (and along the side) of the block, it will take care of the process that should have happened if I'd have troweled the top in the first place. The rep mentioned several times that, overall it "looked like a really nice job." The plastic and the gravel base should prevent water from wicking from the underside...and he felt the bottom 90% of the slab was solid anyhow.

I am going to try the topping. I've already bought all the sand-topping and bonding agent, so I don't have much to lose. I also think it will be a good idea to apply a concrete sealer annually.

I figured I'd have problems somewhere, but never with the base slab. Oh well...any project you undertake costs twice as much as you'd expect, and takes twice as long.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's comments and support. Great group of people here. I look forward to the day when I can discuss pizza and bread techniques rather than my masonic ineptitude.

Comment

That really looks like a dry mix. Its been my experience that the manufacturers grossly recommend under hydration for their premixed bag products. I'm guessing they are aiming for maximum strength, they always say a dryer mix is the strongest, but the average homeowner has no clue that he needs vibrating equipment just to pour a simple slab for a sidewalk, shed, or in this case an oven. I've done a couple of dozen small slabs with premixed bag products over the years and have had to add more water than recommended every time in order to get it flow. I won't say that I have not affected the strength, but I have never had one crack
                  I think the rep has you headed in the right direction. I also agree with your plan to seal any remaining exposed areas.

RT

Comment

Your slab looks OK to me - it will very strong in spite of the voids. In fact, if it were mine, I would not put the grout layer on the top immediately - I would start the block work directly on the slab as it is. But either way, you will be fine.

I am not concerned about the rebar in your slab, either. If you had left the rebar out completely, it would still be OK. The plans for the Pompeii oven are seriously over-engineered, so there is [U]lots[U] of leeway.

I am neither a professional mason nor a masonry professional. In a previous life, I was a contractor and did a lot of concrete work, primarily for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Those guys taught me more about concrete than I really want to know - including how to bust it out and do it over!

When you are ready to pour the hearth slab, don't add a whole lot more water to the concrete mix. Based on the picture, it will take only a small amount in addition to what you used for the base - add it in small amounts until you have a mixture that is easy to move around in the forms with a shovel but that does not flow of its own accord. Too much water can weaken the final product by allowing the small aggregate particles (sand) to fall out as the concrete is poured and manipulated.

Comment

That's great news Fermentor! PHEW *wipes brow*

Comment

Originally posted by stoveup View Post
                        Your slab looks OK to me - it will very strong in spite of the voids. In fact, if it were mine, I would not put the grout layer on the top immediately - I would start the block work directly on the slab as it is.
                        I'm more comfortable with the block adhering directly to the slab rather than the grout layer, so I think I will take your advice. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X