• Show
Clear All

Re: Thermocouple Queries

Originally posted by wlively View Post
    I bought these;
    Omega part number:
    KMQSS-125U-6. 1/8 Stainless sheath 6" K-type with miniature connectors
    TECK10-9 3 each 10ft extensions.

The extension wires were cheaper than a spool and connectors seperately.

I work with TC's every day, so I knew I wanted stainless for longevity. The ones you pictured are ceramic sheaths that you feed the wire/bead into. That will leave the bead exposed which will corrode over time exposed to atmosphere. So it may fail in 2-3 yrs. If that is not a problem with you then go ahead with that one. Make sure you get the K-type TC and wire.
    Wade:

Did you embed them into your dome as well as your hearth? If so, does the end of the RTD stick out of the dome, or is it embedded under your insulation?

RF
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

RF

One in top of dome, one about half way up the dome and one in the floor. The two dome ones are approx center of each brick. I built mine with dome on top of the floor, so the side of the floor was exposed. So, I drilled a 9 inch long hole sideways into the floor for the floor TC. I forgot to mention that I got a 12" for the floor one. Once the dome brickwork was done I drilled and placed the TC's, then used a small amount of Heatstop to try and seal the hole around them. I then covered my dome with about 2" of perlcrete. Then layered the blankets, punching a small hole where appropriate for the connector of the tc to fit thru. So you can see the tc's extending out past the blanket. Then I was just going to put a square of foil around the tc to reflect any penetrating heat, but decided to lay an entire layer over the dome, just loosly placed. Then cover my dome with loose perlite (harborlight). If you look closely at my oven posting you can see the tc's sticking up. I did not see any reason for a hearth TC.

I also bought Omega's infrared gun and will be plotting core vs face temps on my next firing.
      Wade Lively

Comment

Wow thanx all. Thought it would be cool, digital read out & all. Sounds like it will cut into beer drinking, pizza eating time. Thats whats important right! Free Advise is Worth Every Penny (Mark Decker Circa ?) Ha Ha Ha

Comment

Working...
        X