Clinker brick oven and smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinker brick oven and smokehouse

I am a newbie to the sight, lots of information here.

I have poured a 9'x9' pad and am going to build a smokehouse on one side and a brick oven on the other side. I have about 3000 clinker brick and just picked up a 48" hearth for the oven. I have a brick mason "Mike Gadd" who is helping me with it.

One question I had does any ever put a vent in the back of the oven?

Thanks for the help and i will post picture when things get underway.
    4 food groups

Pizza-Wine-Smoke meats-Fresh mozzerella

Re: Clinker brick oven and smokehouse

Hey, I am new as well. A brick oven gets hot by a flow of combustion air. With the vent in the front, the flow of fresh air comes in the bottom of the doorway and forces the hot air back, up and over the dome and escapes through the vent in the front. Without that flow an oven cant't get hot all over the dome. That's my opinion anyway. I hope that helps!

Comment

Don't quote me but it would seem that having a door in the front and the flue in the back retaining heat in the chamber might be a problem. I would think you would create a draft and have heat travel out the flue faster than normal .

Comment

does any ever put a vent in the back of the oven?
        Yes, it's been done again and again, most frequently in the south american "hornos". It's always a disaster. It wastes time, fuel, and pulls all the retained heat out of your oven.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am trying to download a couple of pictures. This is day one. smokehouse on the left and oven on the right.
          4 food groups

Comment

day three.. things are really taking shape..
            4 food groups

Comment

Day 5. I am making a barrel style oven that is choked down in the opening. I am planning to do pizzas, breads, and roasting. What is the height you recommend for the interior and the opening size? I hear higher is better for roasting and breads, and lower give a more intense heat for pizza.

Here are some more pictures.
              4 food groups

Comment

I forgot to tell you, my measurements are 21" high at the top of the barrel. The oven is 38" wide and 35" deep before the vent. Should the hearth opening be 65% of the max height? which would be 13.65 inches.
                4 food groups

Comment

No under hearth insulation?

Should the hearth opening be 65% of the max height? which would be 13.65 inches.
                  Correct..
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I was going to butt my hearth up next to the fire brick and float it in mud. My hearth is 1 in rough granite that is 16" x 48". Do you think I will have any issues with that?

My hearth will sit outside the oven.
                    4 food groups

Comment

The fire brick is the fire hearth, with no insulation you will be forever feeding wood into the oven and it probably wont get very hot as all the heat will soak out of it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Under the fire brick is 3 " of mud. Do I need to get a stone for over the fire brick, if so what kind would you suggest?
                        4 food groups

Comment

Mud wont insulate, the fire bricks are fine to cook on.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

confused, steel rebarb, with 3" of mud and fire brick on top is o.k. for the base of your oven?
                            4 food groups

Comment

Without insulation between the firebrick and concrete slab the oven will lose heat through the floor, same out the sides where the firebrick touch the outer brick enclosure.

Edit:-
                              My first oven was built along the same lines and I pulled it down and built a more thermally efficient one after about 2 years.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X