split stand - wood storage both sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split stand - wood storage both sides

Anyone ever put row of block across center of stand and use angle iron on both front and back - giving you access to wood storage from both sides so you don't need to crawl into stand to get wood from rear? I would think adding a row of block across center would give you greater structural support even though the use of angle iron on both front and back seems to be less strong???

Re: split stand - wood storage both sides

I would have changed the base for easy access as well. I thought a plus sign with the left half of each side as a wall. So you have half of each side open with angle irons holding up the other side. You would have four shallow wood storage areas. I know its not a popular but it would actually look like a swastika from the top.

It is very hard to reach the wood in the back of the storage area so I wind up not using it.

Comment

Larry,

There are a couple of folks on here that have done exactly as you describe. I don't see any problem with it. Wish I would have thought of it!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

A wood storage open both ends also has the advantage of allowing air fow through keeping your wood drier.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I did an "H" shape, but closed off the back. My wood storage area is, in fact, a completely separate brick box built under the oven. I only wanted it big enough for a fire or 2 because of bugs and critters.

The guts of the stand:

(I did not pour a concrete slab, I used 36x36x3 slabs cut to fit)

Comment

done, thanks for the input. I'm going to put some wings on the side so I'm not sure if I'm going to have additional wood storage or maybe a outdoor fridge or maybe a kegerator with tap.

Comment

Working...
            X