What is your Vent Landing length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Vent Landing length?

So I just have a quick couple questions for anyone and everyone. What is your vent landing length and why did you decide on it? I noticed that the FB Pompeii oven plans say a 6" vent landing (if I remember correctly) but it doesn't seem like that is a number many have stuck to or followed. I understand you don't want the landing to be too long because that will make it too hard to potentially reach the back of the oven but I also want a fair amount of space on the landing. What are your thoughts/suggestions/concerns/snide remarks?

Discuss!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: What is your Vent Landing length?

A shallow entry is a great advantage IMO because it makes working the oven easier. If it is too shallow it may reduce the ability to capture the smoke to direct it up the chimney. When you say landing do you mean the distance between the oven mouth and the outer face of the outer decorative arch, or do you mean to include the area in front of the outer arch as well?
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

All dimensions are made at the oven floor.

My inner arch is 5 inches thick.

My flu arch is 13 inches.

My decorative arch is 3 inches.

And my rounded threshold is 10 inches at its maximum depth.

My inner arch reaches into the dome therefore it is thicker at the top.

The flu arch is 13 inches because I used a 10 inch double wall stainless steel flue and required 13 inches in order to incorporate the flue into the arch.

The decorative arch is simply the thickness of the brick.

The landing is there because I wanted a space to be able to place pots and pans and tools when entering or exiting the oven, I made it round to maximize access to the oven yet still give me a landing space.

I do not find it difficult to reach the back of the oven with my tools; but there is a small area on the right and the left just behind the inner arch that I cannot see. I figure this to be about 2 to 3 inches from the wall of the oven and a circular sliver.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

My landing dimensions are essentially identical to Chip's. 4" inner arch (at the floor), 15" entryway floor, 4" decorative arch, 10" to front of threshold.

Sure, having a shallow entryway makes it a little easier to reach the back of the oven, but if little Gianni (11? 12yo?) in the video below can manage pies in a commercial oven, how difficult can it be? This is why peels are the length they are.

Antico Pizza Napolitano - a spiritual experience? - YouTube

The reasons I made my entryway this deep are to have a holding/warming area large enough to accommodate a sheet pan and to provide enough extra space for a proper vent size given my entryway employs a thermal break and does not tie into the dome.

The biggest reason my entryway is this deep has to do with a factor all inside ovens do not have to contend with: wind.

John

Comment

My vent is 5" deep and the outer decorative arch 3" The landing does not protrude beyond it. My objective was to make it as compact as I could so it wouldn't take up half the backyard. I also made the mouth wide so those parts of the dome just inside the oven are accessible. My oven tools have handles that are only 20" long.
          oops sorry will repost photo.

Comment

photo here

Comment

Verrry nice and clean oven, David. I really like the broken mosaic decorative border.

What are the dimensions of your oven and door? I had originally designed my 1m oven to accommodate a 21.5"w door (11 3/4"h) but checkened out and reduced it to 20". I'm not sure there is data that supports wider than the FB standard 20", but I guess yours is working fine? Any wind issues?
              John

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. David, your explanation fit exactly what I was asking so thanks.

John, you brought up an idea I had not even considered: wind. East Idaho is notorious for wind of some sort pretty much every day of the year. They don't necessarily compare to the Santa Ana winds but it is something I definitely need to consider in my design. I was actually looking at your design and it appeared to be about 4 bricks wide and that is what prompted my question. I figured it looked about 18" total so I think I am at least in the area. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Nate

Comment

John, you brought up an idea I had not even considered: wind
                  It gets pretty windy at my house on occasion too.

Besides a deeper entryway, another consideration is the position of the oven mouth relative to wind direction. Only a handful of builders have mentioned this in their threads because there is rarely more than one ideal location for one's oven.

Comment

So since we are on the topic of wind, tell me what you think. The wind in my area generally comes from a South/Southeast direction. I was thinking about putting my oven facing straight east and now considering the conversation I hope that would be the correct direction for air flow. Anybody have any advice?

Nate

Comment

Holy Hannah, John!!! That video link you put up looked amazing. My wife watched it with me and she immediately asked "So when are we going to Atlanta?" It makes me want to build my oven even quicker. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

My landing came about from the design of my vent arch. I used 8 inch vent and had a deeper landing than some - but compensated with the splayed opening - which allows me nice access to all parts of the oven .
                        My oven progress -
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey christo,

Thanks for the input. If by "splayed opening" you mean wider at the outside arch than it is at the inner arch that is what I am planning on doing as well so I hope that allows for the same nice access to all parts of the oven that you enjoy. What are the opening measurements of both of yours?

Nate

Comment

I hear ya Nate! I would love to go to Atlanta just to visit Antico Pizza. The toughest part is that my daughter will be swimming in the US Nationals at Georgia Tech the first week of December and it's the busy season at work. And did I mention that Antico pizza is within walking distance of GT?

Comment

I think generally speaking in your case, mine as well, because of the prevailing winds, north or northeast is ideal. In my case, due to convenience considerations, I will try get by with a northwest orientation.
                              Last edited by gmchm; 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X