Thermostat or Control for Natural Gas Fired Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat or Control for Natural Gas Fired Oven

I built a Pizza oven that includes a natural gas burner I had made for it. The oven will go as high as 800 - 900 degrees. I need a way to control the temperature.

Currently the gas is fed by a hose using a standard gas shut-off valve. This works fine but does not allow me to have much control over the temperature.

I need advice on two options.

1. A natural gas valve I can use to gradually increase the flow and control the temperature.

2. (Ideally) a setup with a thermometer that will automatically increase the flow of gas to the burner bases on a pre-set temperature.

Has anyone done either of these before?

If so, can you help me find what I need?

Re: Thermostat or Control for Natural Gas Fired Oven

I doubt youll get much in the way of replies as you have a potential bomb with a confined space and gas just waiting to go off if ever there is a mishap.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

As this is a wood fired oven forum your question, although related, won't get too far. The forum police have banned the discussion of gas for members ovens because of the safety risks. Try a qualified gasfitter.(and he'll recommend fitting a flame failure device)
      Last edited by david s; 12-09-2011, 01:50 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        I doubt youll get much in the way of replies as you have a potential bomb with a confined space and gas just waiting to go off if ever there is a mishap.
        I've been talking with a gas fitter. I had the burner custom made and designed by a company that specifically does this for pizza ovens and pig cookers. The gas line in has a shut-off that is only opened when the oven is in actual use. The gas fitter recommended one of these forums to see if anyone had experience in the type of thermostat to put on it. The plan is back up the safety of the shut-off with a valve that will automatically kill the gas if the pilot or the flame goes out. The local gas fitters just don't have experience with that in anything but a furnace... much too large a valve, so they recommended a forum like this.

Comment

Many years ago, I was having breakfast in the Fourth of July restaurant in Key West, Florida when the kitchen exploded in a huge fireball. The cook would have been killed if he had not left the kitchen a few moments before the explosion. There were no serious injuries, but ever since I have had a deep respect for the power and potential for harm of mixing gas and flame.

My house is heated with gas and I cook on a gas grill (BBQ). The idea of a gas-fired brick oven is intriguing, but since I don't love the possibility of dodging flying bricks again, I will stick with wood when I build a pizza oven.
          Last edited by stoveup; 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM. Reason: delete repetition

Comment

Originally posted by agentx View Post
            I've been talking with a gas fitter. I had the burner custom made and designed by a company that specifically does this for pizza ovens and pig cookers. The gas line in has a shut-off that is only opened when the oven is in actual use. The gas fitter recommended one of these forums to see if anyone had experience in the type of thermostat to put on it. The plan is back up the safety of the shut-off with a valve that will automatically kill the gas if the pilot or the flame goes out. The local gas fitters just don't have experience with that in anything but a furnace... much too large a valve, so they recommended a forum like this.
            Hi agentx,
            would you post the photos of your custom burner?
            Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

david s is correct, you will very shortly be asked to take any discussions concerning gas burners elswhere (especially home made or anything other than a UL Listed commercial sytem). Too many risks, too many unknowns, and its just not smart to give advice about bomb building (thats what you will have if you screw it up) on any forum or blog to people you do not know, who's skill levels you don't know.

I am sure either Heidi or dmun will stop by soon to shut this down.

RT

Comment

Working...
              X