Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Brick Storage

Chip,

Sorry to see your first build end that way. But Lord knows your present build is freakin' awesome. Your pics kind of pushed me into my choice. Thanks for sharing them. I ended up saying better safe than sorry.

I also saw your heat retention on your build thread. Man, I hope I can achieve that kind of performance from my oven. Impressive to say the least.

David

And you were skiing in Park City at the end of December. Some guys have all the fun.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Yes, that is spalling on those brick. Those are dry pressed commons from the turn of the century or soon after. The reason they are used for fill, especially the red/pink ones, is that they are soft and porous. They are called "salmons" and are a by product of the old style kilns. They are, in fact, the brick that did not get fired as thoroughly as they should have. They were used to either build the next kiln (actually a clamp), or used as the interior wythes and as fill brick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dino69 View Post
        Chip,

Sorry to see your first build end that way. But Lord knows your present build is freakin' awesome. Your pics kind of pushed me into my choice. Thanks for sharing them. I ended up saying better safe than sorry.

I also saw your heat retention on your build thread. Man, I hope I can achieve that kind of performance from my oven. Impressive to say the least.

David

And you were skiing in Park City at the end of December. Some guys have all the fun.
        David,
        Those free bricks for the first build were a very time expensive option. But I was able to build the second dome much faster because of experience and home brew mortar. Thanks for your words of praise regarding my design. Next summer it will be completed so you will be able to see the final design.

Chip
        Last edited by mrchipster; 02-07-2012, 10:39 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Sorry to jump in here,the but in searching, this topic seems a close fit to my question. I have access to free kiln oven brick and was considering building the dome with them, but purchasing new for the oven floor. I can post pictures of what I have if that helps, but I was curious if I could use these or not? Thanks all!
          My oven album is here

sigpic

Comment

I had the chance to get some old kiln bricks for my oven. Based on Chip's experience/advice and the condition of the bricks, I decided to pass. I'm happy I went with new brick. In the total cost picture of putting one of these ovens in - I figured new brick was pretty cheap insurance

For reference, here are some pictures of the bricks I was considering
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
            X