Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foundation

Hello,
    Hopefully I get started this summer but a coulpe of questions first.
    For convience sake I want to place this next to my deck that is about 5 feet above the ground, that way I can use the oven all year round (not having to walk accross the yard and through the snow). I am thinking of using steel legs probably 4-5 inch dia. pipe.

1) Stand thoughts
    2) Too close to deck ?

Thanks to all who answer

Re: foundation

It's ALL in the design...
    It should be fine as long as you design it properly. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Personally, I see: 5-4" pipes rising to deck level (and extending up to Hearth level) with cross members welded and continue the build from that as if it's ground level.
    Piece of cake!
    Best of luck......don't forget the PICS!

Comment

A previous FB build showed a standard concrete block (CMU) oven base that extended upwards (12-15') from ground level up to a second-story deck. That was a heck of a lot of wood storage.
      John

Comment

That is exactly what I had in mind. Close to the wood deck worry you?

Comment

If you're talkin' to me.....no...wouldn't worry me a bit....no more than a grill on a wood deck.....

Comment

Of course you'll need to sink the pipes into concrete footers below the frost line
            Jeff
            My 42-inch build

Comment

Wouldn't worry me, but I might be inclined to build a sheet-metal tray and line it with non-skid tiles (16"x16") right in front of the oven just for grins. I've been known to tend barbecue fires with more than a few adult beverages consumed.

Comment

I might pour a bigger than normal base, to account for any possible settling/tilting. Lot of weight up high
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

This is exactly the situation I am facing. I had planned on building at ground level but my wife convinced me that easier access from the house kitchen off the back deck would make the oven that much more useful. And I agreed...cause she is smarter than me and is allowing me to build a pizza oven.

Anyway, I have thought of hundreds of ideas and I keep coming back to the same thing that there is no reason a simple CMU stand could not be built higher to accomodate the 6 feet (for me) extra height I need to get the Pizza oven up to the deck. You being in Missoula, you will have the same frost concerns as I and I will be interested to see how you end up addressing them. I have my own ideas based on a bunch of reading on this site but will wait for your thoughts.

I did think about the extra wood storage that would be created and I also thought that the room underneath the oven should be big enough to handle a full size door. It would make a great smoking chamber if I added an offset fire box. Sausages, pastramis and hams for my Pizzas, Reubens and Cubans.

My first goal for this summer is to extend the deck out and have the back half where the oven will be set up with some counters. I will also pour the foundation for the CMUs at the same time. Assuming I don't get that all done until the snows fly again then i would start on the oven next summer. I look forward to seeing your work and stealing all your good ideas.

As for fire concerns...I am a complete freak about fire. Scares the snot out of me as to what MAY happen. I think of the current Trex deck burning like a tire fire and melting into the ground below the deck. So, I have been looking into some of the systems they have for tiling a deck and am leaning toward having the four to eight feet of deck in front of the oven tiled. Should remove most of that fear. The systems are made to handle a fire pit so I would hope they can take the stray spark or dropped ember that escapes from the oven

Good Luck
                  Mike

Comment

Make sure you rust-proof your pipe or use galvanized pipe, and build good pilings. Your base will be exposed to the elements and probably the spring thaw. I think I would prefer building a block "room" like Mike suggested, though.

Comment

A thin galvanized pipe will rust, rust proofing coatings will burn away and the rust will begin.You'll have to replace it in a few years time. Get stainless steel, it is more expensive ,but worthwhile in the long term. If doing a double thickness flue, eg going through a roof, you can use a galvanized pipe for the outer one.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think he was talking about posts to raise the structural slab up to the level of his existing deck, rather than chimney pipe. But stainless posts would look nice.

Comment

Sorry, my error. I didn't read back through the thread properly.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hettinga View Post

I did think about the extra wood storage that would be created and I also thought that the room underneath the oven should be big enough to handle a full size door. It would make a great smoking chamber if I added an offset fire box. Sausages, pastramis and hams for my Pizzas, Reubens and Cubans.
                            Excellent thought on the smoker! Take a peek at my albums. The last one I built from their own design, using the void under the oven as the offset area for a cold smoke fire. Or if they want hot smoke it can be set directly on the floor too!

Be bloody careful, that sounds like a fair drop, scaffolding would be a good idea! It only takes a few feet to break something seriously!

Cheers,

Russell.
                            Boom Shanker! (Neil - The Young Ones)

Comment

Originally posted by OzOvenBuilder View Post
                              Excellent thought on the smoker! Take a peek at my albums. The last one I built from their own design, using the void under the oven as the offset area for a cold smoke fire. Or if they want hot smoke it can be set directly on the floor
                              My wife is going to hate you for giving me the idea for my next project. I already have a huge offset reverse-flow smoker, but a mini-smokehouse? I definitely need one!

Comment

Working...
                              X