CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so, what does everyone think of using stone for the base walls?

I have access to field stone that I was considering using as the base wall materials. In everyone's experience what might be the pitfalls of this approach? Also, if I go with stone, do I lay it up as a wall by itself (stone only), or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad, using the stones as a form on the outsides? Or maybe there is a another better approach...

It will be a little tricky forming the hearth pad with uneven edges on the base walls, but that will help stretch the project out...

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl

Re: CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

"or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad,"

I would opt for something like that. With the field stone alone, I would think it may be difficult for someone other than an expert to get a structure that will not shift and move over time.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
      The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so...........

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl
      I don't know how old you are but a "dozen years or so" doesn't make much sense to me. I am afraid that in a dozen years somebody might be spoon feeding me crap that wasn't cooked in my oven . Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the build, but the fruits of this labor have to be "enjoyed" to make "the build " come full circle .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

If you really want to stretch the project out to 12 years this is what you do:

Make the oven cookable ASAP.

Comment

Ha! Spoon fed margarita pizza ? what a mind picture! Ok, I am no spring chicken, so I hear you both, the destination is what we are after here, so maybe I exaggerated a bit about stretching it out ? but if we were all in a big hurry (and had plenty of cash) we would be buying prefab ovens and having someone else install them!

Comment

Felix,

Why not use CMU's (very inexpensive) and finish w/ the stone (looks great)? I think a builder (janprimus?) used them a few years back and did an awesome job.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
            X