Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Gudday
    O Annie your poor hands. Gloves at the least, raid the kitchen drawers and find a spatular or something so you can butter that wedge of mortar to the brick. Yes you'll have a couple slide off but you'll get practiced. Vinegar will take away the sting but not repair the damage
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gudday Annie
      You might want to buttruse the whole outside with an inch of mortar Bed in some chicken wire for added strength.
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once

My Build
      My Door

Comment

Originally posted by Annie M.
        I thought the permacrete insulation layer would help buttress the whole thing up a
        Yes and no.
        With a barrel vault you need some serious buttressing to stop the roof from pushing the walls out and falling in.
        The roof just wants to lay flat and will be for ever trying to push out the walls, every time you light the oven and it expands the walls will push out just a tad more each time.

Permacrete will sort of help but wont have the desired buttressing effect to stop movement.

You need as Dave has suggested a covering of concrete (mortar is useless as it will just crack and fail) and some reinforcing, chicken wire, fencing or barbed wire will work too.
        The reinforcing needn't be too thick, 2" should be fine.

If you go too thick with covering there will be trade off with fuel and time needed to bring the oven to temp, if you go too thin it will just fail and not work.

Wow!!
        What a very verbose reply from me......
        Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-28-2013, 12:32 AM.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

• Re: Actually... No Problemo

I decided to go forward... I am going to do the vault ceiling in strings of arcs that way if one fails only one section will fall...
          Thats the weakest way to build a vault, less strength than if they are all tied in together.

I leaned my full body weight into what is already built and it seems sooooo solid I don't foresee the weight of 8 or 9 bricks pushing the wall out... probably missing something very obvious... give me a hint if so!!

I'm off to the beach to see if there are any architects out clamming... very low tide this morning!
          No good asking an architect to fix your oven, its like asking a car designer to fix your car.....

Take a look at this site for buttressing.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Another thought... would a configuration of a few arcs like the ribs in a wooden boat but made of iron be possible inside the vault to support the bricks... we have Jake the blacksmith out here who is amazing and could make me something simple... or is that toooooo much? Or maybe all it takes is some kind of bar like you see holding together the walls of old gothic architecture.
            Fire and or high heat and steel dont go together, well they do, but in all the wrong ways you are talking about.
            The steel will stretch and twist in an oven situation.
            and be useless.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday Annie
              Brickie as usual is right ,that's a recipe for a disaster.
              Annie, Annie you always amaze me with the different pathways that you continually try turn into. I mean this in the nicest possible way, you must never stop thinking.
              The forum build ovens based on the wisdom of those 2000 yr old Pompeii oven builders using newer materials and methods. You have collected a good pile of both wisdom and materials for an oven build so let's stick ( as closely as Annie possible ) to one plan and get this done. Cause its warming up from winter perfect oven building wheather( here its cooling down from one hot wet summer again perfect oven building wheather)
              As always awaiting you next post with interest...Go Girl!
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once

My Build
              My Door

Comment

Gudday Annie
                Ha a photo .....now that's looking remarkably Good. Nothing like a photo to clear things up. And I can see what's been holding thing up or in this case what's not holding things up those gapes in the middle and end of the arch. You have got to have brick to brick contact.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	809.0 KB
ID:	294325
                Now I know that the photo is on its side but if you have a look at the junction of the arch and the wall that little slither of brick that's what you need. That's been cut with a brick bulster in fact my whole oven has.
                Now they don't have to be perfect brick to brick contact is what your after. Mortar will fill the imperfections. So what if there not flush and poke up a bit ... No one will see them in the end cause there on the outside of the oven and will be covered with mortar.
                Regards Dave
                PS I lay no claim to the wisdom but I will except ancient I'm a retired sailor ....I think last captain I served under Noah
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

You need to go an raid the kitchen cupboard again and make another arch profile, unless you already have two?
                  Find some battens and make the oven profile like the drawing, that way you can lay the whole oven roof as one.

Dont worry about getting the profile out, it will just burn out when you have finished.

The inside joints need to be so thin that they are almost nothing, the outside joints will of course be bigger.

Dave will poke fun at my pic, but its all Ive got in my drawing skills.

Edit:-
                  I meant to also add that we have been down the wrong end of struggle street too, we bought a "very successful" business off some so called friends of ours and it nearly ruined us, we came so close many times to loosing the house.
                  Hang in there.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie is just fitting in with the topical nature of this thread.....

Rustic.
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

• Re: Voila!!

OK... here it is...

I have put the form on two wooden 'skids' so I can get it out once the vault roof sets... do not want to burn the particle board it may contaminate my oven... cupboards are made with all kinds of nasty stuff.

I did not cut the batten ends because I never cut unless it is absolutely necessary... only have a hand saw & the battens are actually stakes for my garden.
                      I recommend to add some tapered shims under your skids to raise them slightly the shims can be removed easily and make it much easier to remove the skids later.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Gudday Annie
                        The 63 per cent figure actually comes from a study down in the 70s on wood fired ovens in Canada and is an average of the ovens studied. If your less than 2/3 oven height and you are you good to go. Oven height is 1/2 inch over optimum if you keep quite about that I will not say a word.
                        Buy the way that is shaping up to be quite a Pretty oven, suits its surounds
                        Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          Gudday Annie
                          The 63 per cent figure actually comes from a study down in the 70s on wood fired ovens in Canada and is an average of the ovens studied.
                          I think it all comes from way before 1970.

More.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Please, Please , Please take lots of pictures of your finished oven...and everything in between. Yours is such a unique design it should be appreciated by everyone....Sorry, I'm such a junkie for WFO pictures..I must have close to 500 saved so far, not all mine, thanks to you.

Regards,
                            AT

Comment

Its getting there Annie....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

8-1 4" will be good, 10-1 better but hard to work with.

Comment

Working...
                                X