Locating oven with pool nearby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating oven with pool nearby

I'm still scheming where I'll even build my new oven at the new place I got. Usually everybody is proud of their ovens and make it a focal point in their yard, if not the focal point. However I have a large pool at this place too and it's worth some attention as well. So I'm generally curious how anybody has managed to reconcile this in their own plans before. Beyond that, I'm curious if anybody ever had problems with the pool and an oven. I highly doubt there was ever an issue with splashing, but rather with ashes and embers dropping into the pool.

Re: Locating oven with pool nearby

Originally posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
    Beyond that, I'm curious if anybody ever had problems with the pool and an oven. .
    If you put the oven in the pool it will be hard to light.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Our oven is downwind of our pool but I don't think you would have any problems anywhere around a pool. I wouldn't hesitate to build a poolside pizzeria. That would be really slick!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Check out dino pizza's build. He has a poolside oven. One of the nicer builds out there.

My only issue would be with containing the mess from the build around the pool. I did all the cutting and such in situ, and was constantly cleaning brick dust and sand up from my patio. But a poolside oven would be a great addition.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Pour a pillar dead center of the pool and build it there. Pizza Island would be a cool build. If I ever close on the land I've been looking at, I'm going to dig a pond and set the oven/dining area on an island. I also thought of running a water feature or a hanging garden off the side of my oven, but those designs didn't materialize.

The location doesn't matter much as long as it fits your landscape design, but you might want to check where water and power lines run around your pool. Once you set the oven, you won't be able to access the ground under it.

Pics of the pool would be helpful to get a sense of what you're working with.

Comment

Rocko,

I built my oven right beside my pool and do not have any problems. The only thing that I have to look out for is that I have to walk on a reasonably narrow path between the house & the oven and you need to be careful with the pizza walking back to the house especially after a few wines. I'm sure that our dogs deliberately try to trip you when you are carrying food.

Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	115 From the Back Door.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	292093
            Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
            (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              If you put the oven in the pool it will be hard to light.
              I know you're kidding around and all but I might as well follow this derail. My wife had to deal with a wood-burning stove one winter, and comes from a family with a tradition of setting obscene fires in fireplaces. There are times where she tells me she smells an odd burning plastic smell and it looks to be from charring the acrylic stucco on the outside of my current pizza oven. So yeah, I think she's up for it since she already seems to be able to set pizza ovens on fire.

Comment

I get the impression from those examples that one has to walk past the pool to access the oven. Well, okay some of you just wrote that which made it pretty obvious. Was that out of necessity mostly or was that part of some design consideration?

Comment

she smells an odd burning plastic smell and it looks to be from charring the acrylic stucco on the outside of my current pizza oven.
                  Didnt you insulate enough?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Didnt you insulate enough?
                    I'd say say. At least four inches of perlcrete and then an inch of mineral wool sheets, overlapped. Over 12 hours later it'll still be at 240F. It's well-insulated.

Most of the bad burning is happening in the front when the fire first gets moving. It will come out the front and cause some trouble. It's making a nice moustache on the top front of the oven.

But yeah, oven and pool . . .

Comment

Hi Rocko,

Could that be your mineral wool sheets, she smell? Its limit is 432F and if you clear your dome, the temperature can double that, in addition the insulating value of the perlcrete is dependent upon its ratio of concrete, how fine its mixed and other factors? Just wondering?

Comment

My pool is nearly downwind of my oven. In the photo below the camera is facing southwest. The prevailing winds here come off the ocean at various points from southwest to northwest. I have had no problems with ashes/embers to speak of that I can recall, but even if some fell in, I don't see it as a big issue. Like everyone with a pool, we get leaves in our pool, bugs, and even a mouse once in a while. The skimmer, vaccum, and filter take care of that stuff.

What was certainly noticeable was when I was grinding brick with a 4.5 inche angle grinder I would get tiny little drifts of firebrick dust accumulating at various points on the bottom of the pool until the random pattern of the vaccum eventually got there.

Comment

I'd say say. At least four inches of perlcrete and then an inch of mineral wool sheets, overlapped. Over 12 hours later it'll still be at 240F. It's well-insulated.

Most of the bad burning is happening in the front when the fire first gets moving. It will come out the front and cause some trouble. It's making a nice moustache on the top front of the oven.

But yeah, oven and pool . . .
                          I beg to differ your 240f degrees after 12 hours, that is significant heat loss. Do you have a well insulated door? I am still above 240f after day 5 or longer.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                            I beg to differ your 240f degrees after 12 hours, that is significant heat loss. Do you have a well insulated door? I am still above 240f after day 5 or longer.

Chip
                            Agreed. That is very significant heat loss IMO. I'm at over 350 twelve hours later if I completely leave the door off. If I close it up when it's still at pizza temps (approx 775), I am well over 600 degrees F twelve hours later. I'm at around 200 degrees at 96 hours after closing it up.

Not being braggy...just pointing out what these ovens are capable of if well insulated. If yours is well insulated, maybe the insulation is getting wet???

Comment

I don't recall for sure but it was at least 8:1 on the perlite to cement. I think I started at a ratio > 10:1 and worked it down as I went outwards. My current oven is clay with chunks of brick on it in the inside. The smell comes right from the front where the flame leaps outside. Generally my dome and door height are nonstandard. The door is 13.5 inches and the dome height I think is somewhere around 24 inches, over a 36" diameter floor. I don't use a door on it. But if I may say so, it's becoming a long derail.

Comment

Working...
                              X