Locating oven with pool nearby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Locating oven with pool nearby

It has been 5 day to the hour since I cleaned the ashes out of my oven to bake bread, the oven is now 160F, thats 5 days. I think the problem is the mineral wool which is not suited for the oven's prolonged high temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by WJW View Post
      What was certainly noticeable was when I was grinding brick with a 4.5 inche angle grinder I would get tiny little drifts of firebrick dust accumulating at various points on the bottom of the pool until the random pattern of the vaccum eventually got there.
      I'm reading comments about that quite a bit. I should be more worried about the construction than the usage. How did an angle grinder work out for cutting brick? That sounds like a lot of work.

Comment

I used a big old MK 2000 wet saw for the vast majority...but I occasionally felt the need to "touch up" a few things here and there. I really didn't do that much (went through only one blade)...but when I did the dust was flying. Can't imagine having done the entire oven with an angle grinder.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by WJW View Post
          I used a big old MK 2000 wet saw for the vast majority...but I occasionally felt the need to "touch up" a few things here and there. I really didn't do that much (went through only one blade)...but when I did the dust was flying. Can't imagine having done the entire oven with an angle grinder.

Bill
          i think everyone has had touch up issues that were dealt with in a similar manner.

Your heat retention is great. Have you ever measured the temp under the supporting slab. I find my wood bin ceiling has reached 145 after long hot pizza sessions.

I have 2.5 inches of 7/1 vermicrete and 2 inches of FB ceramic board under the floor of the oven, and still am loosing heat into the supporting slab. For the what would you do differently file.... more floor insulation.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Let's just say "point taken" on the mineral wool. I was planning to avoid it in the new build anyways, since it was kind of a pain in the butt to handle.

I have a grinder too so I know now I'll probably want that nearby when I'm cutting bricks and all. It's probably about time I started a build thread or something since all of this is coming up.

Comment

Chip:

I have measured the underside of the slab, but I don't recall the exact temp. My vague recollection is that it was something over a hundred degrees farenheit, but not a lot over...maybe 110 or 120. The sides and top of the oven are only 85-90 degrees F after a big, long cook when the ambient temp is in the 70's.

My floor insulation is three inches of Insblock19 ceramic fiber board. The sides have three inches of Insblock plus an inch of ceramic blanket. The top is a mix of ceramic blanket and insblock19 layers totalling about three inches thick...with about four inches of perlite sitting on top of that to fill out the enclosure.

My "what would I do differently" file concerns the wood storage area. No big huge one one in front. I'd much prefer smaller ones on either side with a solid front wall to the stand.

Bill

Comment

I built my oven at the head of the pool. I set it back about 8 feet, and extended out the pool patio up to the oven. It looks great and I have no problems. I will be posting my finish photos soon on my thread "One small step for pizza" in the getting started thread. You can check out how it looks since there are some pool photos included.

Gary

Comment

My oven also has the pool nearby and on occasion the smoke from the chimney will waft over the pool but because of minimal smoke coming out it is rarely a problem. The oven entrance faces away from the pool and is about 50 inches lower than the pool deck.

I did add an extra piece of 30 inch flue to get the smoke higher as the floor of the oven is almost exactly the same as the water level of the pool.

Photos on "Chip's 42 in Minnesota"

Gary, I think your prep table opposite the oven will work out great.

Chip
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 11-02-2012, 07:57 AM.
                  Chip

Comment

Working...
                  X