Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reviews for Fozmex kitset ? (New Zealand)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any reviews for Fozmex kitset ? (New Zealand)

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I would be concerned about wear on the insulating fB more than anything, they are very soft.
    How soft ? Would pushing the fire around really wear them away ?
    Details for the insulating bricks are here Pyrolite

Comment

Those are different than ours, but they do not mention abrasion resistance, so I would think there is a reason.

Comment

I notice that the link to the FireBricks page doesn't seem to work anymore - did you find out any more about this?

Comment

They're selling a lot of ovens , bricks, paver etc Trade Me - Listings from fozmex

Still zero progress with my plans to build as Environment Canterbury & Christchurch City Council still state not allowed. Only allow to have BBQ, Umu or Hangi, not wood fire ovens :-(

Comment

Originally posted by uk_exile View Post
            They're selling a lot of ovens , bricks, paver etc Trade Me - Listings from fozmex

Still zero progress with my plans to build as Environment Canterbury & Christchurch City Council still state not allowed. Only allow to have BBQ, Umu or Hangi, not wood fire ovens :-(
            Gudday
            Why don't you build it ,waterproof the crap out of it , get in 10 ton of soil and cover it . You could then have an Inground hangy !
            Seriously find out there definition of a hangi and make to suit thier own guidelines
            Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Nice thought about a hangi variant but going to be hard to use an underground oven !

I tried the definition & variations route earlier this year. They don't have definitions & they weren't accepting of a grill rack in an oven making it into a 'covered BBQ'. They said they were 'working with' stores to ensure they were only sold into rural areas & not the city. Strangely the main stores have all told me they're fine for city as they're 'cooking applicances'

Comment

Gudday sounds like you have found yourself a petty official with power. You certainly meet that type from time to time.
                Unless you take it further up the power chain you not likely to get any further I suspect.
                Perhaps you might change you your definition of a pizza oven. I have made a pizza on a gas fired webberQ . Not a wood fired pizza but quite edible non the less.
                Check out the "other oven types section you might find something that's of interest. Find franken webber its a firebrick modified webber kettle from memory.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

What we have is one neighbour who would complain the moment we fire it up for first time. Council doesn't actually seem too bothered to enforce the rules but would have to if someone officially complained & our neighbour would. All our other neighbours are great people and in favour of us having a WFO

Comment

It is a pity that you seem to be at the mercy of one neighbour. Thought of getting expressions of support for your 'cooking appliance' from your approving neighbours and getting the council to consider a waiver in your case? It may also be possible to get some information together that shows that the WFO has significantly less by way of emissions than the things that are already allowed, like a smokey BBQ. A good lobbyist would take the council official to where a WFO is already fired up, feed him some pizza and show him the lack of smoke.

Just thinking. Pity to have one neighbour between you and good pizza!
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

It's possible to apply for a resource consent. Resource consents are for buildign activities that don't strictly fit wiht the variouos building and enviroment codes. Costs about $800 to apply however council has already said they would never grant one for domestic purposes. My best chance is to wait 1) for the rules to be better defined or 2) for the problem neighbour to move/go into rest home (they're elderly)

Here's the problem for all law abiding residents in urban areas in my region
                      Can I light an outdoor fire or brazier on my residential property?
                      When delve in further get referred to the Air Quality chapter of the Natural Resources Regional Plan (NRRP). It's really the NRRP that needs to change as it has specific exclusions specifically accommodating hangis, umus and bbqs.

Comment

Gudday
                        That's are real bummer . You attachment particular stated this include wood fired pizza ovens!
                        The local council in Brisbane regard a WFO under BBQs because its only used on the weekends and is not used constantly. I was warned too not to burn garden waste that needed to go via the green bin for recycling, or burn Rubbish .
                        It's crazy really when you think that my neighbors could complain about the chicken coop being to close to the boundary but bugger all about a fire
                        Again I come back to a modified look at a pizza oven. Gas ( bottle propane got more energy) perhaps a BBQ converted with pizza stone and firebrick thermal mass with a "gas Fuz" blow out safety fitting... And who knows slip a few twigs just for the effect.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Thanks very much for the info - and I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament.

I have purchased one of these kits a few months ago and have it sitting beside the shed as I build the rest of the area for it to go in (photos to come once I reach the pre-requsite post count). The insulation they have provided seems incredibly thin after reading other posts on this site - It makes me think I should add some extra around the dome. I'm also a bit worried about the heat sink in the centre and how long it wil hold temperature for - although as my partner keeps reminding me "This is a practice house, so we can get it wrong here!"

Comment

Gudday
                            The world of massive ovens full of mass ceramic and sand mass is more suited to ovens built for a small village. They were heated to operate 24/7 to fead the local population.
                            But an oven like you want needs to be able to be flashed up from cold to feed friends and family. The insulation you have read about in the forno ovens makes these ovens workable in the home situation.
                            Don't muck around,insulate under the hearth and on the oven upper regardless of the ovens "mass "
                            Spend your time enjoying your oven, cooking,entertaining and enjoying your friends. Or chopping and sourcing wood?
                            Check out Bacteriums build in the aussie section he has built 2 ovens .....
                            Regards Dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

For me it's a proper WFO, or we continue with the granite we put into our normal electric kitchen oven (it's the waste stone from the sink insert). I'm not considering a part way fix wood chips or stone in our hooded gas BBQ.

Received this email today from council. Looks like at least a 2yr wait........
                              'Thank you for your email. The definition of outdoor burning and Pizza ovens has not changed since we last spoke. This is something that is being discussed, however if this definition does change (it is not guaranteed it will), this could take up to a couple of years as it will need to be done through a formal plan change process. With regards to the retail stores, we have put in place a process of advising them of our rules and what can and cannot be used. This is due to start again this spring (so very shortly). '

Comment

Appears like the Environment Canterbury (ECAN) regulation will never change
                                Buyers could be burned | Stuff.co.nz
                                Can I light an outdoor fire or brazier on my residential property?
                                We've a friend living in rural zoned Canterbury & they've built one of the Fozmex kits & it seems to work great (although there's currently a fire ban so they can't use it). http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=1641658

Has anyone fitted a LPG gas burner into a brick WFO ? How effective ? Taste similar ? We've currently using a ceramic plate/stone in out hooded gas BBQ & it works ok. Pizza takes about 5mins to cook. Worth the effort of building an oven, or just stick with the gas BBQ ?
                                Last edited by uk_exile; 01-05-2015, 06:43 PM. Reason: additions

Comment

Working...
                                X