• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budget Build 36"

ok thanks anyway

Comment

Sorry shortnstout, I don't know anything about refractory cements. Sounds like it should work fine though? Good luck!

Can anyone educate me about inner to outer arch reveals? I would like to make it large (like 4" perhaps) Is there any issue with doing this? I assume it may make the chimney a little more complicated but are there any other reasons to keep it only at 1-2"?

Here is the look I am digging:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	244713560.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	297342

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

The revel is nothing more than a stop for the door to sit against, you can make it as big or small as you like, or leave it off.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Al, I guess I will go for the big reveal then

I mixed up a 10 to 1 pumice/cement mix this morning to see if that will be enough to hold together for the floor insulation. I was able to pop it out of the cup I used for a mold after about 20mins.

It is not baking in the sun and after a day or so I will put a brick on top and see if it holds.

Photos for those interested:

Comment

Ok, results are in. I tested the insulation compression with bricks.

This test was done 90 minutes after mixing.

The puck of insulation was about 3" wide by 2" high.

The puck held 3 full bricks for about 2 minutes before it collapsed. the last brick was too much I guess.

Name:	DSC03155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	923.9 KB
ID:	297358Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03156.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	297359

SO based of the very short time period I allowed, do you think the 10/1 ratio is sufficient?

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

It only failed because it wasnt contained, if it is contained in a structure then it wont fail.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Cool, I will get on to the insulation form work. Hopefully that ratio should be good enough.

Thanks

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                  Cool, I will get on to the insulation form work. Hopefully that ratio should be good enough.

Thanks

Bevan
                  Your thread got me thinking, have a read.
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f44/...tml#post161847

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Ha! I guess that would work... everyone says the air is doing the insulation. I wonder what sort of strength would remain after the peanuts melt.

I though the pumice was a lot like a rice crispy treat (rice bubble bar)...

Bevan

Comment

With vermicrete the usual mix is 5:1 to make it strong enough. I would assume that you would need the same ratio with pumice. 10:1 vermicrete is fine for insulation over the dome but not enough strength for under the supporting slab IMO, unless you have structural concrete containing the sides.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks Al, I guess I will go for the big reveal then

I mixed up a 10 to 1 pumice/cement mix this morning to see if that will be enough to hold together for the floor insulation. I was able to pop it out of the cup I used for a mold after about 20mins.

It is not baking in the sun and after a day or so I will put a brick on top and see if it holds.

Photos for those interested:
                        Gudday
                        Looks for all the world like a chocolate crackle only grey
                        I would also up the chocalate to rice bubble ratio to 1:5 and be patient and let it set. A row of bricks on the slab will give you a containment edge but again let the concrete slab time to cure give it a week.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks team, I will up the recipe to 5:1.

Dave, are you saying to hold off on the insulating layer for a week?

I have the form done this afternoon and was going to do the insulation layer tomorrow and let it cure for a week with the concrete. Is that a good plan or do I need to leave the slab alone for a week before insulating?

Name:	DSC03157.jpg
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	297362

Thanks,

Bevan

Comment

Thanks team, I will up the recipe to 5:1.

Dave, are you saying to hold off on the insulating layer for a week?

I have the form done this afternoon and was going to do the insulation layer tomorrow and let it cure for a week with the concrete. Is that a good plan or do I need to leave the slab alone for a week before insulating?

[ATTACH]38921[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Bevan
                            Sorry Bevan went to default settings there, I would always leave concrete a week to cure before doing anything..,but. Thinking about it you got the form in place and its not a heavy layer, why not!!!
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I wouldnt worry about the 1 week of curing for an oven slab, thats just for high end high tensile work which an oven isnt......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you cover your supporting slab with vermicrete then it will act to keep the supporting slab damp and cure it well for you. The bigger problem is the elimination of water from the vermicrete. As it takes about double the amount of water that standard concrete takes, it will take much longer to dry. I like to leave the vermicrete slab as long as possible to dry (weather permitting) because it is way more difficult to remove the water once you've built over it. My test explains my reasoning.
                                Attached Files
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X