• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laspaz
    replied
    Re: Budget Build 36"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Bevan,
    Like David, I think that your double barrel side/by/side flu's do look great. But, I am wondering if your artwork is true to scale. What size brick are you representing in your pic? I am thinking that you will end up with a much wider chimney than what I see in your artwork. Not, that it is a problem, just something to consider.

Just Sayin'
    Very good point!

I think if I can use 1/2 bricks (2 inch wide) for the chimney brick work the total width would be 16 inches. So instead of the 'brick and a half' width, it would be 2 bricks.

Hopefully that width is not too dominating.

Of course that is assuming I can use half bricks without issue...which I have no idea about

Thanks for you comments and please do point out things I may have over looked.

Cheers,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Bevan,
    Like David, I think that your double barrel side/by/side flu's do look great. But, I am wondering if your artwork is true to scale. What size brick are you representing in your pic? I am thinking that you will end up with a much wider chimney than what I see in your artwork. Not, that it is a problem, just something to consider.

Just Sayin'

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
    Hey David,

I would definitely be going for the side by side option. I have attached a very highly photoshopped (mspaint) image that I have created

It may be easier no have a flat top rather than the angle though.

I think castable might be outside my skill level / budget sadly!

Thanks for chipping in!

Bevan
    That looks really cool.

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    One flue behind the other will mean that you end up with a really deep entry and the oven will be a pain to work. Having the flues side by side will allow you a shallower entry.You could cast your entry so you have a manifold going to the two pipes.
    Hey David,

I would definitely be going for the side by side option. I have attached a very highly photoshopped (mspaint) image that I have created

It may be easier no have a flat top rather than the angle though.

I think castable might be outside my skill level / budget sadly!

Thanks for chipping in!

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

One flue behind the other will mean that you end up with a really deep entry and the oven will be a pain to work. Having the flues side by side will allow you a shallower entry.You could cast your entry so you have a manifold going to the two pipes.
    Last edited by david s; 09-24-2013, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

The 150mm is sitting bang on at 15% but I would rather over flue than anything. I guess its back to the double barreled single wall stainless

Cheers,

Bevan
    Gudday
    I think the term your looking for is "shot Gun It"
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

More flue is always better than less, I really doubt you can over flue an oven.

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

The 150mm is sitting bang on at 15% but I would rather over flue than anything. I guess its back to the double barreled single wall stainless

Cheers,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Can I use the 150mm stainless as the inner
    150mm will be too small.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    the area of the chimney size should be 15% of your oven entrance for best performance

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Awesome Dave! Thanks so much for putting in the effort

Can I use the 150mm stainless as the inner and the 200mm galv as an outer do you think? And then do the hubcap hinged top.

Thanks again,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday

Would this suit

Click image for larger version

Name:	chimney cover 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	297523

just something for you ideas bin

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Hmm I have a few VW hubcaps around the place. Would work well for a single chimney. I am sure something could be made to do the trick though!

Thanks for all the ideas!

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Still looking but here's another
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	297513
    HQ Holden hub cap

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

That's pretty cool Dave! A bit like a second chance for the smoke to escape before it comes out the front. I would like a cap to stop rain entering the oven though.

Thanks,

Bevan
    Gudday
    Thought you'd like that . You could configure the side by side if you like like that with flat tops as well I suppose.
    Rain excluders can be pretty fancy ( and expensive) but you can use a clay pot plant base and just slip it over the top there usually heavy enough not to blow off. If fact that could be a temporary measure till you find what you want.
    I'll have a look to see if I can find a pic of another I have seen. It's like the rain cap on a vertical truck exhurst excepts it has a chain to lift and hold it up looks pretty cool and i recon easy to make as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X