Clear All

• Laspaz
    replied
    Re: Budget Build 36"

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    [ATTACH]39088[/ATTACH]

Regards dave
    That's pretty cool Dave! A bit like a second chance for the smoke to escape before it comes out the front. I would like a cap to stop rain entering the oven though.

Thanks,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	976.8 KB
ID:	297507

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Those 2 stainless chimneys sound like the GO. But at 6 inches using 1 would be a little small for you oven size. There is no reason why you can't have twin chimneys is there.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Progress is slow as the weather has been crap and still waiting on the fireclay.

I did win an auction yesterday for some chimney flue sections. 2x 4ft long 6" wide and 1x 4ft 8" galv and 1x 4ft 9" galv.

I have 240 half pavers precision cut with hammer and bolster ready to go! I assume it will go pretty quick without custom cutting every piece.

Also converted the IT base to a full plywood 30" circle as outlined by Dave.

Ready to get into it!

Cheers,

Bevan
    Last edited by Laspaz; 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
    This video, Costruire un forno a legna - YouTube shows a different type of "IT" but uses sand in the top part.....Thanks, Mario Natali...bone up on your Italian.......
    That sure is a fancy tool! Reminds me of a sail. Or maybe that's because we (NZ) are about to bring the America's Cup home!

Leave a comment:

• thickstrings
    replied

This video, Costruire un forno a legna - YouTube shows a different type of "IT" but uses sand in the top part.....Thanks, Mario Natali...bone up on your Italian.......

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Dispense with the IT say the last 1/4 . Built to a mold . A blow up exercise ball is one way. A disk of ply held up with a car jack the build a sand shape on top
    Both can be dropped quickly so you can clean up inside.
    The way I see it is that you not doing the fancy overt brick cut on all surfaces so the indispensable tool is despesablevon the top levels. Quicker this way.
    The mortar is your glue to hold the bricks up but once that last brick goes in, its a dome and self supporting the mortar changes from glue to holding the bricks apart . It then becomes a cushion between the bricks and you'll find that you'll get fewer cracks than you would expect. But cracks are your badge of honour wear them with pride.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

A man after my own heart, snapping the pavers in half with a hammer and sticking the rough edge out......

One of the benefits with thin pavers is that they conform to a tighter radius better than a full sized brick.

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Thanks Dave, words of wisdom for sure. I will try and sort out the plywood.

My IT has no adjustment, I could drill some adjustment holes, but I am not sure that the extra 1/2" of dome height will matter too much.

Thanks for the tip,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    If you have ever tried to replace a single paver in a driveway its bloody hard to get it in. You got to either remove a lot of pavers and relay right to an edge, or trim a mm of the sides so you'll always have a loose paver
    The adjustment that you see on most ITs is to gradually make up for the inch or two that the pivot point is above the hearth surface.
    So placing on a ply piece is a good way to go and you have the added advantage that it all protect your hearth from the inevitable drips of mortar. Cut it into section small enough to fit through the entrance and screw together with battens
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Yep that's what I have done Dave. Trying to get the pivot point of the IT closer to the floor. Hope that is ok?

Thanks,

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bevan
    It appears that you have replaced a tile with a piece of wood and screwed you IT to it ?
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

Still waiting on the fire clay...

Managed to get the floor tiles cut to sit within the dome. I did make a mistake on the landing and cut the sides in line with the inner arch instead of further out in line with the outer arch. Nevermind, It will give it some character not being perfect!

Also split some pavers and had a bit of a mock up.

Name:	DSC03171.jpg
Size:	674.5 KB
ID:	297435

Name:	DSC03172.jpg
Size:	655.4 KB
ID:	297436

Also whipped up an IT to make life as easy as possible.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get to mixing up some homebrew and get going.

Bevan

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
    I got the insulation layer all leveled out with sand and then layed the pavers.

Then I put the fire tiles on top to try and work out which pattern to go for and also if I should put the dome on the pavers or the fire tiles.

I think I should probably use sand/fire clay to set the fire tiles onto the pavers.

Cheers

Bevan
    I used clay pavers underneath my fire tiles too, my tiles are 40mm thick.
    The only problem I have is that a few of the fire tiles have cracked because I chuck huge logs into the oven.

They will still perform the same, next time I would use thicker tiles.

Leave a comment:

• Laspaz
    replied

I got the insulation layer all leveled out with sand and then layed the pavers.

Then I put the fire tiles on top to try and work out which pattern to go for and also if I should put the dome on the pavers or the fire tiles.

Name:	DSC03163.jpg
Size:	682.6 KB
ID:	297426

Name:	DSC03164.jpg
Size:	621.2 KB
ID:	297427

I think I should probably use sand/fire clay to set the fire tiles onto the pavers.

Cheers

Bevan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X