Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budget Build 36"

Ya still need diagonal bracing.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Cute kid, and it looks like she's a hard worker too. What were you doing aside from taking pictures?

The stand looks plenty sturdy - but you might want to put more than one bolt in the joints to keep it from racking over time. Single bolt can be a pivot point. Two or more bolts on the diagonal will give some torsional stability.

OR

you could cross brace it from the inside. One piece of lumber on the diagonal on each of the three closed sides bolted to each of the legs should keep it from racking.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi DeeJay, thanks for your input.

The kid does look cute, although looks can be deceiving! She just seems to "be there" posing whenever the camera comes out

I might try some diagonal lumber on the inside as those single 200mm bolts were difficult to install with a drill bit only 100mm long. Lots of guess work and luck getting the two holes to line up from each side!

I am now considering alternatives for the concrete slab that are cost effective. I haven't found any yet that are cheap and still suitable.

On a side note, 80% of the oven build on youtube have no floor insulation... Bit scary.

Cheers,

Bevan

Comment

Gudday Bevan
          If your limited by your drill bits why don't you use coach screws or batten screws.
          I would use brick commons myself firebrick is hard to find and expensive as well in Aust. In fact a lot of folk use pressed clay pavers as even brick commons are uncommon in places. Check out QLD Pizza Oven in the search that a brick common oven that 3yrs now, and I have recently heard from Worb and that ovens still going strong.
          You could try posting and asking him yourself he could possibly still have a link.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave,

Do you reckon I have common bricks?

I don't think they were pressed as they have no frog and some have a very slight convex shape to them. I guess that indicates wire cut or extruded. They are definitely old and from a chimney, and given that I have seen other ovens made from the same bricks, I am just going to go with them.

I will check out the build you mention.

Also the coach screws might be a good solution for the bracing, thanks for that. Although I do already have 100 4" screws in the base, so she is pretty solid!

Thanks Mate!

Bevan
            Last edited by Laspaz; 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post

On a side note, 80% of the oven build on youtube have no floor insulation... Bit scary.

Cheers,

Bevan
              Bevan,

Just because others build badly does not mean you should follow you will be much happier with a well insulated oven.

Looking forward to the brick stage of your oven.
              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                Bevan,

Just because others build badly does not mean you should follow you will be much happier with a well insulated oven.

Looking forward to the brick stage of your oven.
                Oh I totally agree with you Chip. I fully intend to insulate it, I want the best result for my time and money!

Thanks.

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by Laspaz View Post
                  I guess that makes the forum 80% better as a resource than Youtube!
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Gudday Bevin
                    The fact that you bricks do not have a frog has little bearing on their use in your oven. The frog evolved from the identification marks used on bricks. I suppose in those days it would have been important cause they were probably not all standard sizes. It's use today is to save clay.
                    Your bricks were made in the 1920s so there construction method doesn't really mean much as long as they are solid and not crumbly.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Cheers for the confirmation on the bricks Dave. They will be fine and dandy!

I got the form for the concrete floor slab set up today. Hopefully I will get the concrete mixed tomorrow if the weather is ok.

I also came across pumice which I have decided to use for the insulation of the hearth. It is 7mm size and should do the trick nicely. Also much cheaper than vermiculite/perlite.

I have also included a photo of our current pizza oven seen as I am going to crank it up for Friday night pizza tonight!

Thanks all for the input.

Bevan

Comment

Gudday
                        Interested to hear about that pumice. Of course NZ it would be a natural resource. You can get it size graded! So they obviously use it for something. I'd also be interested to know how efficient an insulator it is my gut feeling is that it would not be as efficient . Which is not a biggy you just need a thicker layer that's all.
                        Regards dave
                        Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-12-2013, 11:36 PM.
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

Your bricks are what they called Dough Boys, when they fired the bricks in way back when they used to stack a whole bunch together in a kiln then fire it, the bricks in the middle didnt get fired too well an were called Dough Boys, the bricks on the outer edge were fired too well and were called Clinkers.

Both types of bricks were regarded as inferior and sold off as such.

Your bricks will not last well in a pizza oven situation, fine for a fireplace that rarely reach the temps of an oven.
                          In an oven situation they will start to degrade fairly rapidly.

If you like grit then Bon Appetite.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hmm well that is disappointing. I guess there is no way to test the brick to see what happens.

Stupid solid clay bricks. Ugh

Dave - I did a bit of a search on the forum about pumice and it seems to be a viable substitute for vermiculite. I know they use it here for hydroponic growing media and just as grit for driveways etc. Lots of air pockets for insulation and apparently what was used back in the days for ovens.

Worse case, they add a little variation of grit to my spall brick pizzas...

At least my dogs have a sturdy kennel now!

Bevan

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                              Your bricks are what they called Dough Boys, when they fired the bricks in way back when they used to stack a whole bunch together in a kiln then fire it, the bricks in the middle didnt get fired too well an were called Dough Boys, the bricks on the outer edge were fired too well and were called Clinkers.

Both types of bricks were regarded as inferior and sold off as such.

Your bricks will not last well in a pizza oven situation, fine for a fireplace that rarely reach the temps of an oven.
                              In an oven situation they will start to degrade fairly rapidly.

If you like grit then Bon Appetite.
                              Gudday brickie
                              How can you tell ? It would be great to know what to look for.
                              Round these parts the two best are a little orange brick with sharp edges which are pressed and of course clay pressed pavers . Anything else gets the hammer test. Smash a few in the middle with a lumpy hammer if they break clean in 2 halts great if the break into multiple bits or any crumbling ... Reject
                              So any help with knowing what to look for is gold
                              Regards dave.
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

The brick on the left is an old Dough Boy, its under fired and doughy and crumbly by nature.

Bricks from the early years were generally under fired, todays bricks are over fired to vitrify them.
                                The open granular texture of the brick and the addition of large grog from previous dead bricks in the brickyard is a dead give away to being an early brick.
                                If its hit with a hammer it will more than likely crumble before it breaks clean.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X