Help with wanna be oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wanna be oven

A friend on mine just bought a house with this oven inside the house in the kitchen area. Not sure what it could be used for if anything.
    The flue is in the center of what would be the cooking area. Pictures shows flue that is stuffed with insulation to stop draft.
    Also another problem is the base for the fire is granite stone.

Questions I have:

Is this anyway usable? Can a door be made to cover opening and something made to block flue from heat escaping?

Will the granite bottom take the heat from the fire?

Re: Help with wanna be oven

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
    A friend on mine just bought a house with this oven inside the house in the kitchen area. Not sure what it could be used for if anything.
    The flue is in the center of what would be the cooking area. Pictures shows flue that is stuffed with insulation to stop draft.
    Also another problem is the base for the fire is granite stone.

Questions I have:

Is this anyway usable? Can a door be made to cover opening and something made to block flue from heat escaping?

Will the granite bottom take the heat from the fire?
    Based on your photos, whoever built this has no clue how to build ovens...it is built more like a fireplace.

To your questions.....
    1) sure you can use it, but most of your radiant heat is going to exit the flue, and I think it will take many hours of a roaring fire to get the masonry to decent cooking temp....even more so if the chamber itself is not insulated ( I'm guessing it isn't)

2) You can make a door, but it won't help much. A damper will contain somewhat heat, but it will also constrict smoke exhaust draw and hinder draft...which will lead to heat and smoke exiting the front of the oven.

3) The granite won't survive more than a couple thermal cycles before it cracks...that I will assure you of. It is not a suitable material for the oven floor at all. ( another clue that the mason had no idea what he was doing)

You have another firebox at best. Don't expect much from that 'oven'.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Can't imagine it even making a good fireplace.
      I researched Rumford fireplaces after seeing many references to them on the forum, and if one accepts that a Rumford fireplace is a good fireplace, then this thing is about as far removed as you can get from "good".

Comment

Why not block up the flue (or put a low ceiling in it) and heat the chamber with an electric spiral hot plate? it might take a while, but you would have the perfect chamber to keep turkeys, roasts, or rolls warm...
        Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
          Can't imagine it even making a good fireplace.
          I researched Rumford fireplaces after seeing many references to them on the forum, and if one accepts that a Rumford fireplace is a good fireplace, then this thing is about as far removed as you can get from "good".
          I build Rumfords, it is a better than good design, I can assure you. This thing is as far from a Rumford box as a 55 gallon drum, let alone a good oven.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            I build Rumfords, it is a better than good design, I can assure you. This thing is as far from a Rumford box as a 55 gallon drum, let alone a good oven.
            Yeah it's terrible, isn't it?
            My buddy wants to build one of those Argentine parrilla things to complement his oven.
            I'm thinking he ought to build a Rumford fireplace, I can't imagine a better design for reflecting heat out into his outdoor area.

They certainly make a great deal of sense, as far as I can see. I've never seen one in the flesh but they just look right.

Comment

P.S. I sometimes see refernces to a damper above the throat. Is this only there to prevent cold air falling down the chimney into the room when the fire isn't going?
              If so, it'd be unnecessary in an outdoor setting wouldn't it?

Comment

I'm thinking he ought to build a Rumford fireplace, I can't imagine a better design for reflecting heat out into his outdoor area.
                I seem to recall reading somewhere here that Rumford fireplaces do not work outside. Ever heard of this Stonecutter?

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                  I seem to recall reading somewhere here that Rumford fireplaces do not work outside. Ever heard of this Stonecutter?
                  Do not work? Yes and no, I feel that most outdoor fireplaces ( not gas ) struggle with draw and efficiency.

The design of a Rumford throat isn't effective outside as other outdoor fireplaces with a deeper box and open throat. I have built a few outdoor FP's that had a modified Rumford box, but the throat design was the major difference, as draw characteristics are completely different outside. Most of the ones had a very slight shelf or none at all, not like a Rumford at all.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                    P.S. I sometimes see refernces to a damper above the throat. Is this only there to prevent cold air falling down the chimney into the room when the fire isn't going?
                    If so, it'd be unnecessary in an outdoor setting wouldn't it?

A damper is not optional with indoor fireplaces.

I have put them in on the first few outdoor Fp's the past, but they are pretty useless, especially in areas with a bad downdraft problem...like being at the bottom of a hill surrounded by trees.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                    X