Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many bags of vermiculite

Originally posted by Art nj View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I was looking at the aluminum today and think I'm going to flip the u channel over and have the flat side sitting on the concrete and have the "feet" of the Uchannel facing up, then I'm going to put a sheet of perforated stainless steel sheet on top of that, then the ceramic fiber board, and finally the firebrick floor, installed on edge. I think it would work better that way.
    I can't wait to be up to that point.. But at least by then hopefully the weather is a little better. I plan on pouring the foundation on Sunday and I'll work on the block base next week after work.

Art
    If you put stainless and aluminum in contact, that can cause galvanic corrosion.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      If you put stainless and aluminum in contact, that can cause galvanic corrosion.
      Thanks stonecutter , I thought I was going to use stainless but it's actually aluminum. I own a boat that is used in saltwater so I know all about it .

Art

Comment

So I've been working outside on the ground surrounding the oven , we cut down a big maple 7 yrs ago and the stump was ground down below grade so I thought it would be rotten by now.... Nothin doin on that one , it was hard as stone. The roots thankfully were rotted and broke with an ax.
        Anyway , I was able to dig around and get the foundation and side countertop formed and the small one poured before the rain yesterday.. I secured 1000 red bricks also , so the materials are really coming together. I'm trying to figure out how to post multiple Picts from my iPhone, but if not ill just do one at a time.
        Art
        Last edited by Art nj; 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

G'day
          The iPhone will only post 1 pic at a time but it is possible to go back in the post and by using advance edit put in another . But the disadvantage is the time taken and not everyone will get to see all the pics as they have looked at the post and moved on.
          To stop the dreaded sideways shots... Take your pics in landscape with the button on the right

Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Al.

You work with aluminum and you weld aluminum so I'm pretty sure you understand aluminum melts at 1200F. I don't understand why you would want in in your oven structure. If it ends up sagging.. well you get the picture. Most of your heat loss will rise so if you're really concerned about it why not just use more. I am quite happy with the perlite-Portland-sand formula and 3" is more than adequate. I found perlite to be cheaper than vermiculite (about half) and doesn't compress as easily.

enjoy your build-
            C-dad

Comment

We all know how hard it is to get the "dreaded" barrel vault even close to pizza making temperatures....lol , but seriously , with the firebricks stood on edge plus the 2" ceramic fiber insulation I don't thing the temperature of the aluminum is going to get even close to the melting point.. I guess we're gonna find out soon enough.

Art

Comment

G'day
                Yes the dreaded barrel vault will make pizza!!!!
                I have a good friend who has a barrel vault , with an internal chimney, and its long. He is the master of that thing, he can get it pumping out pizza for a caste of thousands. I help him out and have lost more than a few arm hairs along the way. I can't understand his oven but I do understand he knows his so well. And for long baking you can't best it!
                I have had the experience of using 4 different ovens now and I think mines the best .....but I could be bias ???
                Regards Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

Hello again, I've been busy building the stand for the oven and excavating for the pavers at the same time. I picked up 2" ceramic fiber board today from a really good source in east Brunswick nj. Anyway, here is a picture of the aluminum Uchannel with the board and firebrick. I think this idea will work out well.

Comment

Another picture

Comment

I'm at the point of drying out the brickwork and insulating, and building the house, I made a couple quick pizzas and smoked a rack of ribs this past weekend, the oven performed very well, the walls and dome were 700 degrees and it took about an hour and a half with some real good oak.
                      The smoking went well for my first time.. The oven was way to hot but I didn't have all day to cook, I fired the oven for like an hour then let the fire die down and I added wet chunks of apple and hickory... I'll include some pictures.

Comment

I m sorry about the sideways pictures , I'm doing this from my phone.

Sesame encrusted tuna, arugula, wasabi sauce , and teriyaki glaze.

Comment

Here are the ribs after an hour of high heat smoke and an hour under foil with apple juice on the bottom of the pan

Comment

Here's a shot from last week from the side

Comment

G'day
                              Hold the phone longways ( landscape) button on the right.
                              Great tucker!
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Thanks cobblerdave, I had to look up the meaning of "tucker" ... Lol.
                                I'll try taking some shots with the phone upright..
                                Thanks
                                Art

Comment

Working...
                                X