• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza oven problem?

Why how old are you? I'm transitioning into old timer territory
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

I'll be 60 in June, so I guess I am, too. Of course, now that I'm older, the new old timers are in their 80's. Funny how it keeps shifting a decade as we get closer. My "old timers" comment was not directed at you. Hope you didn't take it that way. I have no clue as to your age. I was just fortunate when I was younger to work w/quite a few of older craftsmen and I learned alot. But, only because I paid attention and was a human sponge, soaking up as much knowledge as I could. Not just in masonry, but w/construction in general.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
        I'll be 60 in June, so I guess I am, too. Of course, now that I'm older, the new old timers are in their 80's. Funny how it keeps shifting a decade as we get closer. My "old timers" comment was not directed at you. Hope you didn't take it that way. I have no clue as to your age. I was just fortunate when I was younger to work w/quite a few of older craftsmen and I learned alot. But, only because I paid attention and was a human sponge, soaking up as much knowledge as I could. Not just in masonry, but w/construction in general.
        Haha.... no lad, comments about my age don't bother me a bit. Likewise I have been fortunate to grow up and work around a solid group, many of which I think of as masters of their craft. That is what I strive for too...assurance of my ability within my chosen field.

Btw, I'm 42.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

So....if you're 42 and "transitioning into old timer territory", I have no choice but to assume I have arrived.
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Its a badge of honor if you have lived well.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              So....if you're 42 and "transitioning into old timer territory", I have no choice but to assume I have arrived.
              Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              Its a badge of honor if you have lived well.

And, it beats the heck out of the alternative ..................
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Finally got round to putting on render/stucco. (Cement and sand 1:4 mix) hopefully this will now waterproof it for future winters.

Now to look into paints and tiles for surrounding areas. Then I can put up a picture. Doesn't look the most aesthetic thing at moment.

Comment

G'day
                  On your path to making your oven resistant to the elements you might seriously consider a waterproof door/cover at the entrance to the oven. The outer entrance so the entrance hearth is protected. Once rained on the water quickly wicks into the insulation.
                  Your never going to stop tithe bricks naturally taking up water from the air but that nothing really that a few good fires will sort out.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Can I use any paint on this oven? Or does it need to be special. I bought masonary paint. Which I assume is fine ontop of render stucco.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofypr View Post
                      Can I use any paint on this oven? Or does it need to be special. I bought masonary paint. Which I assume is fine ontop of render stucco.
                      G'day
                      That's great, that's what is made for. Manufacturers instructions usually say to leave it for a while for fresh cement and brick which is not a bad thing as the oven will contain a certain amount of moisture for a while yet.
                      Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey all. Lit fire today. The floor temperature reading with rod was 480degrees celcius.

Oven back on track. Pizza was awesome.

When I work out how to post pictures I will.

Thanks a mill for help.

Comment

Give it several firings before painting it otherwise you may have trouble with the paint blistering.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Even if you don't fire give the finish a bit to dry before paint.

Comment

"transitioning into old timer territory"
                              Getting back to this, I am always mystified why the young tradies don't take advantage of the old farts, tradesmen, craftsmen and their exquisite skills that took often 40 to 50 years to develop.
                              I have experienced on numerous occasions where old tradies take all their skills to the grave just because family members and fellow workers aren't interested in their skills which are the lost often forever, as they will not be found in books but only handed on by word of mouth.
                              I love spending time with old craftspeople, showing genuine interest, asking questions and discussing alternatives, often with incredible responses from them.

Neill
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                                Getting back to this, I am always mystified why the young tradies don't take advantage of the old farts, tradesmen, craftsmen and their exquisite skills that took often 40 to 50 years to develop.
                                I have experienced on numerous occasions where old tradies take all their skills to the grave just because family members and fellow workers aren't interested in their skills which are the lost often forever, as they will not be found in books but only handed on by word of mouth.
                                I love spending time with old craftspeople, showing genuine interest, asking questions and discussing alternatives, often with incredible responses from them.

Neill
                                That's a conundrum. And what you say is partially true. However....

The problem is not always about the young tradesmans lack of effort. Sometimes, there are more experienced guys that are unwilling to teach. There are older tradesman stuck in their ways, unwilling to change with the times, or adapt their techniques to modern construction. When those that have the " I've done it this way for 30 years so don't question me", attitude...all they do is perpetuate a stuck in the mud, one dimensional view. And there are an awful lot of those types.

I have worked with a lot of old tradesman, and like I mentioned earlier, a few of I would consider them to be Master Craftsman. A common trait a TRUE master possesses, is the desire to teach, and yet they can still learn and apply new techniques and methods. And, it's not simply because they want to pass on exactly what they know or how they do things to another...it's because they care about the bigger picture, which is preserving quality.
                                Last edited by stonecutter; 05-06-2014, 04:16 AM.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X