Getting my barrel started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting my barrel started!

Still raining and the mortar won't set. What would you do if you only had four more rows and really wanted to get done? Did anyone else say kerosene heater?

Dry bricks dry!

Comment

Forgot to mention I drew jury duty next week. Not going to have much time to work on it. For 4 cubic feet of pearlite this not guilty is purchased!

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        18" is fine, but you probably want them smaller diameter than you would normally use in the fireplace. I like them about 4-5" diameter max.
        The general rule is nothing thicker than your wrist. You want flame, not a slow burning log. Shorter lengths are much easier to split.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that in mind when I cutting. I think ill use the bigg stuff indoors and the smaller in the oven.
          Last edited by Rotterdam; 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I'm feeling good about a career as a mason! The last two wedges squeezed into the center of the arch, with my biggest hammer. I was so confident in the strength to pulled the supports. As I predicted the plywood forms I had to burn out. But before I started the fire on a bet from my statistician wife I stood on top of the arch! Lots of good feelings of accomplishment here.

If I had the arch to do over what took me two weeks would be done in two days. Although I am proud that the arch was uniform from front to back with my last two wedged bricks being dropped in pre-mortared together.

Did most of you builders just take a grinding wheel to the inside to get rid of the excess?

Did anyone go back to fill in the few gaps on the inside ?

Comment

A pic of first fire.

Comment

Congrats on your first fire. Enjoy!!
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Excellent. It does look like there are a few areas that it wouldn't hurt to tuckpoint.

Comment

Working...
                  X