How safe is the insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How safe is the insulation

I'm starting to plan my wfo build and have a few questions about insulation. From what I've read I understand the importance of it so want to get it right.

How safe is the ceramic insulation board/blanket? I think I understand the need for mask during the building stage but what about after it's built. Are there risks to health?

Vermiculite could be an option but from what I read it seems some ppl say it's not that much better

Are their any alternatives that are safer, I wouldn't mind if it means my walls are a lot bigger.

Thanks

Re: How safe is the insulation

Originally posted by minshall5j View Post
    I'm starting to plan my wfo build and have a few questions about insulation. From what I've read I understand the importance of it so want to get it right.

How safe is the ceramic insulation board/blanket? I think I understand the need for mask during the building stage but what about after it's built. Are there risks to health?

Vermiculite could be an option but from what I read it seems some ppl say it's not that much better

Are their any alternatives that are safer, I wouldn't mind if it means my walls are a lot bigger.

Thanks

The proper PPE (Personal Protecton Equipment) , shoud be used in any, and all phases of the build. Dust, from the blanket, vermiculite, or even play sand should not be breathed. A simple dust mask should be enough to take care of the inhalation hazards. Orienting the brick saw down wind from where you stand while operating it will be a great help. You can buy disposable painters coveralls, if you are worried about tracking something into the house. Once the insualation is sealed underneath and over the oven and the dust has settled from the brick saw, there is no health worries .
    Last edited by Gulf; 09-15-2014, 06:17 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the information

However what about after it's been installed. I understand it's encased but over the lifetime of the wfo with potential for parts to degrade is it a problem. Or am I worrying about nothing

Comment

You should not build an oven, it will kill you, if the Global Warming or Eggs don't get you first.
        Last edited by Tscarborough; 09-15-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Minshall,

The ceramic products are no greater or lesser health risk than any other of the components used to construct your oven if you use proper precautions. There are guidelines that you should follow, inhaling ceramic fibers, brick dust, vermiculite dust, cement dust, concrete dust, acid fumes and water can all cause serious health problems and even death. Always protect your lungs, eyes and skin from caustic and irritating materials, be careful.

Comment

Thanks for the information

However what about after it's been installed. I understand it's encased but over the lifetime of the wfo with potential for parts to degrade is it a problem. Or am I worrying about nothing
            Maybe not in your lifetime, but if there is a a future discovery, hopefully they will also have a cure .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

After seeing first hand what happens when it goes wrong, and especially when for years ppl said asbestos was safe I thought I should at least ask the question.

No harm asking

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                You should not build an oven, it will kill you, if the Global Warming or Eggs don't get you first.
                Hi T,

May I add? Nor live outside a bubble. Living leads to death!

Comment

Thanks that's helped a lot with it all. Appreciate it.

Comment

After seeing first hand what happens when it goes wrong, and especially when for years ppl said asbestos was safe I thought I should at least ask the question.

No harm asking
                    Actually you are right in asking. I'm sorry to make light of your question. I was just trying to assure you that the "recommended" insulations and masonry materials are fairly safe, if installed properly .

Comment

If it bothers you, use perlite instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X