Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32" build in north TX Insulation question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32" build in north TX Insulation question.

CalSil or Ceramic fiber Board? Will either one support weight of 32" oven? Which one is more cost effective?

Re: 32" build in north TX Insulation question.

What do you mean by support weight? Either one will be fine under the weight of a 32". They are not structural though and must be laid on top of a support slab.
    Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
    40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

yes, I'm trying to figure out which board will compress less ( effectively reducing thermal insulation) while been sandwiched between the oven and support slab. I'd estimate oven's weight about 1400lb. and of course most of it will be on edges of the board.

Comment

If I am not mistaken the properties of CaSi board vs AlSi (ceramic) are essentially the same. So I would go with whatever is cheaper for you. It seems like a lot of weight but it is spread over a fairly large surface area and evenly around the perimeter of the oven. It's difficult to compress the stuff.. I tried by smacking a few proud floor bricks with a rubber mallet..
        Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
        40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

I don't think you'll get much compression with either product. If you're concerned with the insulation property I think you'd be better off increasing the thickness just to be sure.
          Some articles I've been working on: How to build a pizza oven

Comment

Working...
          X