Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started my Build in Georgia

Hello All

I have finally started my build in Georgia.

I have been making good use of Mrchipster's Brick Cutting Table. It makes cutting the angles easier and more accurate. I mark a line on one face of the brick before I cut them. This helps me keep track or the brick orientation as I cut the bricks.

I hope to get more done tomorrow.

David

Re: Started my Build in Georgia

Making some nice progress David! Hard to tell from the photo but curious about the gap between the back wall and the outside of the dome. What is the distance there?
    Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
    40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Hello Tony

Thank you.

I have about 8"between the dome and the wall. I was allowing for 3" of fiber blanket and a stucco coat. It may be a bit of a pain getting stucco done. Hope it is enough room.

David

Comment

Looks like you can get at it from both sides? Shouldn't be too bad if that's the case.
        Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
        40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Got some more done in the last few days.

As it is forecast to freeze tonight in Georgia I have covered the dome and put a 100w light in the oven to keep the temp up.

David

Comment

That looks nice and neat David. What diameter is it?

Comment

Hello Simon

Thank you. It is 36" diameter.
              I am trying to emulate some of the other builds I have been following on this Forum. Working on my dome gives me a much greater appreciation for the quality of work I see in some of the other builds.
              I am getting a small step in the center of the brick where it is directly over the joint below. Going to 1/3 bricks for the upper chains.
              The join between the chains and the vent got a little untidy but I noticed that I am not alone with the problem in the area just before the chains make it across the arch in the opening. I am not sure what to do with the problem corners of brick. I will probable leave them because they will only be visible if you crawl into the oven and look back towards the vent.
              Too cold to do any work on it today. 18 degrees at the moment. The 250 watt shop light is still on under the covers keeping the dome just above freezing.

David

Comment

The step above the joint on the course below is a sign you're doing it right. It is naturally there on curved brickwork walls as well. The step will be more pronounced of course for tighter radii, and larger bricks.

How are you building the arch transition? I think the easiest looking method is to build the transition arch with bricks cut like 'king closers' or maybe 'squint' bricks. Do a search for those to see the shapes if you don't know what I mean.

The method that looks least satisfactory to me is where the arch is built as a normal looking arch, and the bricks are given complex cuts to hang onto the corners of the arch bricks. The cuts weaken the bricks IMHO. In fact I believe you should avoid any brick that has (or resembles) a 'bird mouth' cut if you can.

Oh, and temperatures below freezing is one of the joys of a bricklayers life.

Simon.

Comment

Hello Simon

I am building the column and segment arch opening.

Similar to Baylanta's build in his "My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio "

In his post #62 I see the same brick corners that I have in my transition.
                  My cutting angles must be off slightly because I do not get as tight a joint line as he did.

It gets harder to clean up the joints as you get higher in the dome. Also I have had to start using sticks to hold the bricks for a few minutes so they do not slide a bit.

David

Comment

Hello Simon

I had planned to cut the corner off the arch bricks to fit the chain bricks. Did not know the name for that cut of brick. Going to try to mock up the cuts as I go across the arch.
                    Are you a mason or have you been doing a lot of research on brickwork?

Still cold here in Georgia going down to 24 overnight so I will not get much done in the morning.

I have cast my first vcrete block to go under the vent support.

David

Comment

David,

It sounds like you've already completed your arch and are modifying it as Boylanta did. If you haven't got that far, here are some pics (Post #8) of an approach that is gaining popularity:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/back-arch-20223.html

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                        Hello Simon
                        Are you a mason or have you been doing a lot of research on brickwork?
                        David
                        Yes, I am a bricklayer, but these ovens are quite different from the day job.

Comment

Hello GianniFocaccia

I have not completed my arch yet. I am doing the build the arch as you go idea. Also the cold has held me up for a couple of days. It was 20 degrees this morning.

Thank you for the link to that build and the arch photos. I think that I did look at that build a while ago but forgot about it.

I was looking at the arch this afternoon trying to work out how to make the cuts. I will see if I can make use of some of this information. I will post my progress.

Thank you again.
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                            Hello GianniFocaccia

I have not completed my arch yet. I am doing the build the arch as you go idea.
                            David
                            Doing it this way may be a little slower because you will need to custom fit/cut individual bricks when you get to the arch, but doing it this way the arch and dome will be tied in together better.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The inner arch is complete and I have one chain on the arch. Things should move faster now.

I added a temporary leg to the IT to try to maintain the chain level and avoid the dip some have suffered as they cross the arch. I have a photo to post later.

I used some of the ideas in the post I was directed by GianniFocaccia. Thank you it made life easier having the photos to work with.

Can you have too big a reveal on the inner arch. I am thinking of 1 1/2" in the arch and 3/4" on the sides.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X