• Show
Clear All

36" in DFW Area

The IT and jigs we used are posted here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...rms-21566.html

Comment

Re: 36" in DFW Area - Supplies & Equipment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
      ?best saw blade for us - Dewalt XP4 (used 2) and 2 other Dewalt XP4 - best price for us was at homedepot.com DEWALT XP4 10 in. x 1/16 in. Premium Wet Diamond Blade Model # DW4764
      Could you please provide a little more info about what made this the best blade? Mainly just curious. I have the same HF tile/brick saw as you. I've used quite a bit for other projects and it has cut great so far but before I begin cutting my firebricks I want to throw new blade on there. I appreciate you posting this so I, and others, can maybe save some time and money by not having to do the trial and error that you already have. Also, how did you know when it was time to change the blade? Does it just take more effort to push the brick through, or does it not make as nice (straight?) of cuts?

Thanks, Alex

Comment

Re: 36" in DFW Area

Wow. This is impressively detailed stuff! And a beautiful finished oven.

Can you post the Sketchup files? That much work should not go to waste, and I bet they would be super helpful to other builders.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Well done on both the finished oven and passing on detailed information. It's amazing how much shared knowledge and experience is available on this forum.

I am pleased that my build gives others some ideas for their own builds. I think mine was the first on FB with the inner arch bricks tapered to tie in with the dome bricks, although I just copied that from the Field Furnace guys (FF being the Sydney supplier of WFO materials and also a builder of ovens). Karangi Dude was building his tapered arch at about the same time - he also bought his materials from Field Furnace. I am pretty sure that the S-curve vent was original in my oven and it's good to see it used regularly in other builds.

PS - I love the old-school 3D modelling using cardboard!
          Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Deejayoh - I might. Have a lot of additional info to post yet with our build and would need to clean up the file for anyone else to use..... I have a lot of hidden stuff in there and a bunch of drawn items that only I know why they are in there. For someone learning sketchup it would be confusing and someone knowledgeable about sketchup would wonder what I was doing! I also have to figure out how to get the extension right for posting here.

UPDATE 4/18/2015 - I think I figured out how to post the sketchup file - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...tml#post184276 - when you open it, have to click on edit, hover on unhide, then click all in order to see the hole drawing.... some kind of glitch makes this way of saving it small enough to post!

Sharptailhunter - the Dewalt XP4 lasted longer than the others and cut straighter for us. We also liked the kerf of the blade. One of the others was much thinner and was more difficult to line up our straight and perpendicular cuts to the blade without bending the blade when holding the square against it. I think one of them had a "lip" on the edge that also made lining things up difficult for us. We changed the blade when the saw just stopped cutting right.... of course the first time was when we were doing the difficult inner arch cuts! We did several cuts thru a cinderblock to extend the life of the blades, but we ended up just using new blades. Felt like we had to do a lot of cuts thru the cinderblock to help clear the diamonds and then it didn't keep cutting as long as we wanted, so just put on a new blade. There is some good info about blade matrix and diamond if you search the posts by Tscarborough key word matrix or Brickie in Oz key word glaze.
            Last edited by Texas; 04-18-2015, 07:41 PM. Reason: Sketchup posted in #10

Comment

Working...
            X