New NorCal build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Proc

Not sure about the width but the height is important. It should be about %63 of the dome height so 16" is a fraction high if you have a true hemisphere.
    The arch position will affect how it ties into the higher chains of the dome. I inset my arch into the dome a bit so that the higher courses met the arch using the same width bricks. If you set the arch further out you will have to extend the higher arch bricks to meet the dome bricks.

Both ways work.

David

Comment

I'm building a 42" and I made my entry arch opening 12" high and 19" wide, if that gives you any reference for your opening size. Here's a link to my latest post: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...aho-spud/page3 It appears we are close in points of our build. I posted some pics of how I've decided to try my arch. Not sure how it's going to work but by all my checkings it looks like all the chains should line up, fingers crossed! Good luck on your build and keep up the good work, it's kinda fun isn't it?! :-)
      Last edited by sharptailhunter; 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Here's my latest. As you can see, things are starting to get a little jenky. And by that, I mean a lot jenky... It all started with the arch. I was completely unable to envision the cuts necessary on the back side. So I decided just to make the arch with full, uncut bricks. I figured I could take an angle grinder to it once its completely set and trim it back as best I can. It won't be fully proper, but I'm hoping it will allow the bricks to come together easier. And I hope I can do it without actually breaking the arch. Then as I was building the arch, I realized I probably should stack 3 bricks straight up along the soldier course and then start the arch curve. Well, that didn't exactly fit the falseworks I build (yes, it is cardboard and 2x4... something to be said for the cardboard as it gives just a little but it is sub-optimal). So the arch was a bit more eye-balled than I wanted. Which means that some of the bricks are not held in position as much as I would like. And the top isn't exactly keystoned in. But it's close enough for government work. I hope.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=keUkk6FP6n4

Comment

The arch is a bear isn't it?! I totally scrapped my original plan and knocked my first arch out and started over. I wonder how many of us have had to do that? 😁 Like you, I thought about just using full bricks and then using a grinder to gnaw away at the arch as each chain of bricks tied into it. But, like you, I was afraid I'd knock something loose with the grinder...

Comment

I have gotten to the point where I should V the sides of my bricks. I'm wondering if I should cut an angle out of the bottom as well. Wedge the bricks.

Comment

I've sort of been doing that because I've been tapering my bricks so as to use less mortar. It's kind of a pain getting the wedge shape to match with the V under it. If mine happen to line up, cool. If not, I don't sweat it. Personally, I'd just bevel the sides.

Comment

Hello Proc

On the higher chains I trimmed the bottom corners because I was seeing a growing gap in the center of the brick.

Getting the side angle can be trying. I did a bit of free hand grinding on the sides to get a good fit on the higher chains.

David

Comment

Here's the latest state. This is taking a lot longer than expected!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=4PREoUWrF2b

I have not gotten quite to the point where I need to V the bricks, but probably in the next course or two.

Comment

And a bit more progress.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=XSikf1DqCHB

I've been taking about a quarter inch wedge off of each side of the bricks. "About" as I am eyeballing it. And destroyed the flexible masonry blade on the chop saw. A metal blade would have been a better call there...

The camera does some pretty weird stuff to objects that are too close to the lens / 3D sensor, so ignore the fractured or ghosted bricks from inside the dome scan locations.

The half finished course is completed now and it is starting to feel like I'm getting close! I can't wait to start making small fires in the completed dome.

Comment

Looking good.

Watch out for joints aligning chain to chain. I think they call it a running bond.
                      It is best to stagger the brick joints even if you have to cut a smaller brick to get away from aligning joints.

David

Comment

Thanks David. I noticed that too (much easier to see in pictures/scans than when you are standing there amazed that it's coming together at all!). Of course, I didn't start to see it until recently. I had been starting with the bricks at the same point on the far side, offsetting them with each course, but by the time I got mid-course, the difference in circumference did a nice job of lining them up. In retrospect, I should have started each course in a different location. Oh the things we figure out once it is too late >_<

Still using the IT. I mortared in a single brick (darned near vertical at this point) and letting it lock in to place for a day before trying to put up the rest. I'm curious to know if anyone was able to use the tool until the very end or if you must always put in a form. I'm definitely at the point where I could put in a disk and a pile of sand.

Comment

Hello Proc

I did use my IT till the last few bricks. It was a little tricky to remove but I made it so that I could unscrew it.

David

Comment

Here's the latest, the oculus is now closed and the dome is complete. No pictures of the inside (after seeing how clean everyone has made their interior, mine is a touch embarrassing).

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=n2aCXT2DYqm

I was able to use the IT right up until the second to last brick and I was able to cut and pound in the final brick. After that scan I finished off the cladding. Now it is patience time as I wait a week to let the masonry cure a bit on its own before starting my small fires. It's been very hot in my area (by which I mean 80 degrees which is a scorcher in a norcal beach town).

Because this thing has a large footprint at 48", should I be spreading my fire out? I'd thought I read that someone had cracked their lower courses once they went with a big fire in a big oven because their initial fires were not heating up the sides due to distance.

Also, I have no door for this yet. Will that present an issue as I cure this?

Comment

Finally built a full blow fire in my (un-insulated) oven and made pizza. Good news is that the pizza is amazing! Bad news is that I ended up with a fissure right at the top of my arch. But I expected it as it already was separating a little even when it was drying. Luckily, there seems to be enough support around it that it won't be a major problem.

Next up, insulating blankets! A question about blankets. When putting them in place but before getting the chicken wire over them, how does one keep them in place? are you screwing them in to the masonry? How do you get them to stay in place?

Comment

Here is the insulated dome that is partially chicken wired. I decided not to use a ton of insulation, so it is mostly 2 layers thick except around the base (where it is 1 layer thick). Chicken wire is not tightened up, so it is pretty sloppy.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=gGmW14FPP9P

Comment

Working...
                                X