Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to get portable oven temp

Hi Guys,

I bought a cheap portable (I'm renting) wood fired oven made from sheet metal and it is somewhat insulated. I know... I know... I know it's not brick, but I think I should be able to get it to 450C degrees if I modify it.

I have drawn up roughly how it's made here: http://i.imgur.com/48kT9R4.jpg

Basically is a half barrel sheet metal oven with insulation between the sheet metal. I believe it's fully insulated in the roof/sides, back and on the door. On the floor, it came with fire bricks on top of an uninsulated sheet metal floor, so there's only fire bricks on the floor - nowhere else, the rest is sheet metal. I bought 25mm of calcium silicate and laid that between the fire bricks and sheet metal floor - so it should now be insulated everywhere. But I'm still struggling to get it to 450C, I get maybe 350C, maybe more if I go crazy with wood..

Is it because the dome is not brick? I know it may be a dumb question, just asking. What do you think I could do? I really thought this would have potential if I modify it.

Thanks!

Re: Struggling to get portable oven temp

My vote is to add more wood.

Comment

If you look at the oven plan image I provided, I'm putting enough wood to cover eight bricks and as high as the roof.

Comment

That sure does seem like plenty, what kind of wood are you using? Are you talking about 450C on the floor or dome? I think you'll have a hard time with 450C on the floor, unless it's a big fire for a long time 3+ hours

Comment

I'm using red gum. Any wood recommendations for an Aussie?

Comment

I got close, check the results here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...rly-21706.html

Comment

Working...
            X