Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    A pic from underneath the form will help.
    I will get pictures when I get home tonight underneath, I am interested on the wedges that you guys are talking about, But I have no clue what they are or what they look like. Has anyone ever used it and can show me what they are? I would really appreciate it.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
      David can you give me an example of the wedges you are talking about? I have no clue what those are or look like.
      Shims for setting windows and doors will work well, for your install they might get wet prior to cur of concrete so get the plastic ones. HD or Lowes sell them in the millwork area.
      Chip

Comment

Thanks for the advice Chip, you really think its necessary? I will go with what you say but that did not even cross my mind. What is the worst case scenario if I don't do this? What could happen?
        Just concerned about new work in contact with old work. There is sometimes settling that you do not anticipate. Here we always need to think about frost heave but I think you are OK in Miami.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          Shims for setting windows and doors will work well, for your install they might get wet prior to cur of concrete so get the plastic ones. HD or Lowes sell them in the millwork area.
          Something like this Chip? Image below, place it between the brick and wood?
          Best Regards...
          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Just concerned about new work in contact with old work. There is sometimes settling that you do not anticipate. Here we always need to think about frost heave but I think you are OK in Miami.
            Thanks buddy, So no need for anything there right. I should be ok.. Thanks again
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Something like this Chip? Image below, place it between the brick and wood?
              Exactly, used at bottom of support post used in pairs thin edges overlapping each other to preserve a constant thickness (no slope) on the support.
              Chip

Comment

Exactly, used at bottom of support post used in pairs thin edges overlapping each other to preserve a constant thickness (no slope) on the support.
                Ok I will try this tonight and send some pictures.
                Best Regards...
                Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I don't think an expansion joint would hurt there, but it really is not needed. You will end up w/a very small shrinkage crack there after a bit. Wait a few weeks, then if it bothers you, simply use some masonry caulk on it. Another thing I would ask is, are you planning on pouring right up against the fence? Also, I highly recommend covering things up (such as the fence, brickwork, etc.) w/some plastic before you pour, as it (concrete) can get a bit messy and splatter things. Try not to get your concrete too soupy, if possible, as the wetter it is, the weaker it becomes. Use enough water to make it workable, but not soupy. When I pour concrete, after it hardens up a bit, and am done for the day, I cover it w/plastic and then a layer of cardboard, to help retain the moisture in the slab as long as possible, which also increases it's strength. Do you plan to use reinforcement?
                  My Build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                    I don't think an expansion joint would hurt there, but it really is not needed. You will end up w/a very small shrinkage crack there after a bit. Wait a few weeks, then if it bothers you, simply use some masonry caulk on it. Another thing I would ask is, are you planning on pouring right up against the fence? Also, I highly recommend covering things up (such as the fence, brickwork, etc.) w/some plastic before you pour, as it (concrete) can get a bit messy and splatter things. Try not to get your concrete too soupy, if possible, as the wetter it is, the weaker it becomes. Use enough water to make it workable, but not soupy. When I pour concrete, after it hardens up a bit, and am done for the day, I cover it w/plastic and then a layer of cardboard, to help retain the moisture in the slab as long as possible, which also increases it's strength. Do you plan to use reinforcement?
                    Your idea of covering things up is a great one. Thanks for that and I will... I will try to not make it as soupy, but workable as you mention. About the fence no, it will not be against the fence I ran out of 2x4 and did not do the back part yet. I plan on doing that tonight.

About the reinforcement, yes, yes and yes. I will be putting 10, 10 feet number 5 bars and 10, 10 feet number 3 bars. I think its too much but I guess in these case the more steel inside the better right? I will post some photos as soon as I get it ready for the pour.

Thanks for the advice.
                    Best Regards...
                    Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Your idea of covering things up is a great one. Thanks for that and I will... I will try to not make it as soupy, but workable as you mention. About the fence no, it will not be against the fence I ran out of 2x4 and did not do the back part yet. I plan on doing that tonight.

About the reinforcement, yes, yes and yes. I will be putting 10, 10 feet number 5 bars and 10, 10 feet number 3 bars. I think its too much but I guess in these case the more steel inside the better right? I will post some photos as soon as I get it ready for the pour.

Thanks for the advice.
                      Number 5 is overkill in the slab and much more difficult to bend. #4 is perfect for this setup and will suit you well. When bending I use two pieces of pipe and bend where they meet about 2 ft long each. Bends for your corners join in center. Make sure you raise rebar into center of thickness. No closer than 2 inches to top of slab. You can purchase "chairs" at the hardware store to hold the rebar up. They are plastic or wire.

Wire your rebar ends together. Overlap at least 6 inches
                      Wire your rebar grid together.
                      Do not let rebar get closer than 2 inches from the outside edge.
                      Oil your forms so they release easily spray oil works well or wipe with oil damped rag.

Make sure you have plenty of sack concrete mix.
                      You want to keep pouring into wet area and not stop until you are done filling.

Have a place to dump extra wet concrete a cheap plastic tarp laid on a hard surface like a piece of plywood, works well. You can grab extra from the tarp if needed and when the trowel work is done you can let the concrete set up for disposal.

Divide wet waste concrete into manageable piles for easier disposal when set up.
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 06-02-2015, 03:44 PM.
                      Chip

Comment

Hello

Here is a photo of the wedges I used. I cut them as I needed.

David

Comment

Guys I must say, I did not expect you guys to help me so much. I can not thank you enough, Chip, David and everyone else please I am very grateful for all your comments and advice. Love to have you guys here in Miami one day!

I have completed everything I think it is all correct. I below are pictures of it ready to go. Please let me know if I did anything wrong and if there is any other advice you can give me. The BIG POUR will be thursday and all schedule up with my buddies to give me a hand. Chip I am getting extra bags of concrete just in case as I previously ran out on other projects and I don't want to run out on this one.

Chip what type of oil should I use on the boards to release it easily, can I use cooking spray on the plastic & board. I follow your advice one plastic as you will be able to see on the images below.

Once again thanks guys, please see image below, all comments are welcome.
                          Last edited by gugahulk; 06-02-2015, 08:55 PM.
                          Best Regards...
                          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

That will clearly stay put and hold up any size oven you decide to place on it.

Good work. But then again we have all seen your other beautiful builds.
                            Chip

Comment

That will clearly stay put and hold up any size oven you decide to place on it.

Good work. But then again we have all seen your other beautiful builds.
                              Thanks Chip, you just boosted my confidence. I always doubt myself. Any coments on the oil? I was planning on using pan cooking spray.
                              Best Regards...
                              Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

Thanks Chip, you just boosted my confidence. I always doubt myself. Any coments on the oil? I was planning on using pan cooking spray.
                                Regarding oil on forms, a light coat of spray on inside of wood only, will help you get forms off.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X