Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    No need to redo. Unless you wanted a herringbone design. As long as your peel strikes the floor brick at a 45 degree angle, your golden. Your floor pattern will work just fine .
    Thanks for this, I am just so upset I made this mistake. But I think I will go with this design. Not sure. But thanks for reassuring me I am ok.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

That is how I did my floor, it works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        That is how I did my floor, it works just fine.
        you really put me at ease now. A pro like you did it why should I... Thanks you just made my day as I could not stop thinking about anything else. I have a question for you. Saw your post and I am a big fan of your build. You did not do any buttressing did you? Was there any need? I am planning on making 4 straight side wall brick course than a flatter arch. Your arch is more like an ark. Is this why you did not do any buttressing?
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Only in a minor fashion, but enough to hold it. When I was building the chimney, I stacked 20-30 brick on top of the vault, along with refractory cement and myself.

Comment

Only in a minor fashion, but enough to hold it. When I was building the chimney, I stacked 20-30 brick on top of the vault, along with refractory cement and myself.
            So this pictures the way you shown here does not need any buttressing? If you stake 30 bricks on top of the dome isn't that making the forces push down even more on the sizes? I am not understanding your concept. If you can explain better would be great as I am in need of help on the buttressing I just don't understand the concept.
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Like this:

Comment

Like this:
                Wow, so that's what buttressing is... Ok I understand a little better. I thought I was going to have to build a wall next to the vault wall. Since my wall are straight up for the first 4 courses of the vault do you have any ideas or recommendations for me? I am also waiting for Chip he said he will send me some info on it also.

And thanks for this valuable information.
                Best Regards...
                Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

If you want to expand your understanding of arches and buttressing this link is worth a look. Cleared it up for me.

Auroville Earth Institute
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Pull out my forms today. I am happy with the results. Now just waiting for the boards to arrive so the fun can begging. The wedges was a great idea and thanks for everyone that told me to do it. It would have been very difficult to remove the forms without it. See pictures below.
                    Best Regards...
                    Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                      If you want to expand your understanding of arches and buttressing this link is worth a look. Cleared it up for me.

Auroville Earth Institute
                      Thanks for this, I will study it.
                      Best Regards...
                      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Great job on the slab. I think you have enough to go on for the buttresses for now. Isn't the forum great.
                        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                          Great job on the slab. I think you have enough to go on for the buttresses for now. Isn't the forum great.
                          Thanks Chip, the forum is awesome. My oven will be far better because of you guys. Thanks...
                          Best Regards...
                          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Still waiting for the boards. Hopefully will come in today. But I can stand waiting and I like to be active. So I build myself a little log cabinet/table so I can dry my wood. Has wheels on it so I can move it around put it on the sun and if I expect rain I move it under the tree. I will also use a little prep table once my oven is done. Cost me $35 I reused the wood from the forms of the base as they were treated 2x4 and I would not be able to burn them on the oven. Any tips on drying wood? Some of the one wood I was able to harvest is green wood so I have ZERO experience on this any help would be great. See images below of the log cabinet/table.
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

That is a very nice looking portable storage and work top. It will come in very handy.

Wood varies on how long it takes to cure. Some say 6 months to a year. It's more like 18 months for oak. If you will be cutting and seasoning the wood yourself, you will need a covered storage shed. It should be large enough to store at least a years supply of wood. The shed needs to be built to keep the wood off of the ground, protect it from rain, and still have an air flow through the sides. The last wood that I cut is stacked on treated 4X4 runners, between two trees, with a couple of weighted down sheets of roofing metal layed on top .
                              Last edited by Gulf; 06-18-2015, 11:19 AM.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                                That is a very nice looking portable storage and work top. It will come in very handy.

Wood varies on how long it takes to cure. Some say 6 months to a year. It's more like 18 months for oak. If you will be cutting and seasoning the wood yourself, you will need a covered storage shed. It should be large enough to store at least a years supply of wood. The shed needs to be built to keep the wood off of the ground, protect it from rain, and still have an air flow through the sides. The last wood that I cut is stacked on treated 4X4 runners, between two trees, with a couple of weighted down sheets of roofing metal layed on top .
                                Wow, that long? Could Miami be less as its very, very, hot all the time or not really? i will build another large one once the oven is ready for more wood storage than. This portable one was alot of fun and I build it in 2 hours.
                                Best Regards...
                                Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

Working...
                                X