No announcement yet.

NW Ohio Build - Opinions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you end up supporting the side walls with buttressing or steel bracing? If building a barrel oven with a flat (large diameter) arch, there is way more side force on the walls than a semicircular arch, so it requires side wall support.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I had a temporary brace similar to the final version on it all year to see if the design would hold and all but the front opening arch slipped a little but I was able to catch it in time. With this version of I used a steel crossbeam instead of wood and on top of that used the ceramic blanket to ensure the wood does not come in direct contact with anything hot.

Comment

Started the cement board and roof last night.

Comment

Finally finished!!! It took over a year but I think it turned out pretty nice for a guy who's never done any masonry work before. My only concern is the arches now that I have closed it all up. I purposely did not enclose last year so I could have 6+ months burns to ensure the arches didn't move. Only problem was I didn't cover with the ceramic blanket until this last few weeks. Well I cannot overstate what a difference the blanket makes when it comes to oven temperature. Hopefully the +200 degree difference doesn't stress the arches out even more to the point of degrading the structural integrity. Prior to the blanket I could get spots directly above the fire to burn the brick clean however, now with the blanket as you can see the entire oven burnt all of the soot clean. I haven't used a digital thermometer but I'm guessing the difference must be +200 degrees.

Comment

Looks great. Congratulations on getting it finished. It is amazing how much of a difference the insulation makes. . I would not think you should have any trouble after the blanket went on. As it should heat more evenly now.

Randy

Comment

Hi, I am also building a barrel vault. I notice you built the back wall outside the arches rather than inside the arches. Have you noticed the arches pushing the back wall outward during high temperatures?

Comment

Working...
              X