X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Insulation Need Advice

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
    Hello

I have 3 1/2" of blanket over my dome and it only gets warm to the touch when the dome is saturated so I would think that 4" or 5" would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. Lose perlite may be a better and cheaper way to go.

I have not used this type of thermometer in my oven but see no reason it would not work. I got it at a cooking store or Bed Bath and Beyond.

I will try it next time I am cooking and let you know.

David
    Thanks David, I was thinking about something permanent. Any suggestions? But please let me know how it works for you.

about the blanket I already bought 4 boxes from forno bravo. I think I have over done it but. I already bought it. I think I will be able to wrap the oven 5 to 6 times with these 4 boxes. I can not do the lose perlite because I am not doing a house finish. it will be a round mosaic finish what I have in mind so far. Let me know about the temperatures. Thanks.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
      ... it will be a round mosaic finish what I have in mind so far.
      Not trying to put you off, but think very carefully before starting down the mosaic route as it can be VERY time consuming
      Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
        Not trying to put you off, but think very carefully before starting down the mosaic route as it can be VERY time consuming
        Thanks oblertone, But I dont mind putting the time and I love working with it. It relieve my stress from work and something I look forward to. But I dont plan on having designs on it. I am thinking more something like the image below. Any thoughts on this?
        Last edited by gugahulk; 06-01-2015, 09:57 AM.
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
          Any thoughts on this?
          I think it's beautiful, but it's apparent simplicity is the result of some very hard work as each piece needs to be accurately cut to avoid lots of small infill pieces; although grout does hide a multitude of errors !

As my previous picture demonstrated I haven't the discipline required to be so exact, having completed the blue/black central stripe on mine as a homage to Gaudi I got a bit carried away, hence the octopus !

Go for it; just don't underestimate the work involved.
          Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am guessing my self. I am planning on make it out of granite instead of tile. I have broken pieces of granite and I was planning on using it. Yours looks really nice, but there is no way I would do it that way. Its way too much work for me. But now I am second guessing. My oven will be really FAT kind of like this one below. So not sure.
            Best Regards...
            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Hello

Did I miss something along the way? Are you building a Dome or a Barrel vault oven?

David

Comment

Hello

Did I miss something along the way? Are you building a Dome or a Barrel vault oven?

David
                It will be a Barrel Vault
                Best Regards...
                Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I thought so but one of your last posts got me thinking it was a dome. I think you will find wrapping a barrel is easier and less wasteful than a dome. I used 2 boxes to cover a 36" dome in 3 1/2" with a little to spare.
                  4 boxes will be more than enough with any extra being used for the door.

David

Comment

any extra being used for the door.

David
                    Thanks David, Question, any extra being used on the Door is totally my plan. Does it work good on the door? I was thinking about either that or using the insulation board as it will not flex like the blanket. Any thoughts? Have you seen my base? I am freaking out that its not strong enough for the concrete. let me know what you think. Here is the link for my build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/wo...l-21793-4.html
                    Best Regards...
                    Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Hello Gugahulk

I think that the board is probable better for the door as it is denser than the blanket. The rigidity should not be an issue in the door. Mine is 22 gauge steel from a big box store pop riveted together.

I reinforced the top of my form with 2 x 6s as the vertical forms were 1 x 6s and would probable have bowed out. I should have screwed the 2 x 6 on from the outside not the inside.
                      My form is 2 x 6 horizontal, 1 x 6 vertical then a band of 2 x 6.
                      You can see the wedges on top of the blocks.

David

Comment

Hello Gugahulk

I think that the board is probable better for the door as it is denser than the blanket. The rigidity should not be an issue in the door. Mine is 22 gauge steel from a big box store pop riveted together.

I reinforced the top of my form with 2 x 6s as the vertical forms were 1 x 6s and would probable have bowed out. I should have screwed the 2 x 6 on from the outside not the inside.
                        My form is 2 x 6 horizontal, 1 x 6 vertical then a band of 2 x 6.
                        You can see the wedges on top of the blocks.

David
                        Thanks for that David, I really appreciate it.
                        Best Regards...
                        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I can't wait to see what you end up doing for yor insulation. I did 4" of board and have 3 boxes of blanket and plan to back fill with vermiculite for max heat retention. Good luck.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                            I can't wait to see what you end up doing for yor insulation. I did 4" of board and have 3 boxes of blanket and plan to back fill with vermiculite for max heat retention. Good luck.

Randy
                            Thanks Randy, I hope its enough. I looked at your build but you did not put finished pictures. Did you finish it? If so how does it perform? Are you happy with your results? Let me know buddy and thanks for checking my progress. Below is a link to my build.

Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I am only a little farther than my pictures. Only a month and a half in to the build. But I will let you know when I am done.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                                I am only a little farther than my pictures. Only a month and a half in to the build. But I will let you know when I am done.

Randy
                                Oh, Sorry, I saw that you joined the forum in 2010 and started your build in 2010.... :-) My mistake. Let me know how its going buddy. I hope it comes out awesome as I am pretty sure it will.
                                Best Regards...
                                Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

Working...
                                X