X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ricflo
    replied
    Re: Begining stand construction

I just started mine today Thusrsday August 16. I am a novice at this. Directions say to buy half blocks. Half blocks are not really half a block so how does this fit in with making everything even? Did they give me the wrong block? Please help

Leave a comment:

• Hendo
    replied

Ron,

I think there are some members who have tapered top and bottom faces manually ? Balty Knowles cut only the bottom face (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/t...html#post12118) and I think RTflorida (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post12093) may have done top and/or bottom face as well as the sides.

For me, the cost of tapered bricks was identical to standard bricks, so it was an easy decision to go for the tapered bricks. I had a choice of 76/69, 76/63, 76/57 or 76/51mm tapers. I calculated arch diameters with the first two listed, and soon found that the 76/63mm ones would suit my intended 1100mm internal diameter. Calculations were quite simple, and I shall send you the details by PM as requested.

I should add that I really can?t claim ownership of this design ? many influences here, starting with Russell Jeavons? recommendation of an 1100mm diameter and no soldiers. Many Forum members have influenced the design too, and it was my brickie who first suggested tapering the brick sides.

One thing to consider ? cutting the tapers takes time, so if you?re a slow methodical type of chap, then sure, go for it. But if you (or your wife) wants it finished yesterday, you may want to avoid delays and not taper. There are plenty of ovens out there with no tapers that cook great pizza!

Cheers, Paul.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

It was your design that convinced me to taper all of my bricks. Although I planned on only tapering the sides, and not the top or bottom faces.

Leave a comment:

• Hendo
    replied

Looking good so far!

As to the question of soldiers, I think it really depends on your height specification vs type of bricks. For me, the tapered bricks yield a natural dome height of 550mm, which for an 1100mm dia oven gives a perfect hemisphere. A course of soldiers would have simply added more height, which I didn't want.

Other members have started with a soldier course, and still ended up with a low (Napoli style) oven, so it's really your call. Convenience won the day for me, due to the tapered bricks. And it was really the first design I saw.

Cheers, Paul.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Not going to be doing much with the oven construction for about a week so I thought I'd lay out the bricks to see how my dome would look. I'm still not sure if I'm going to start off the way they are pictured (standing up on end) or if I'll lay the first course using tapered half bricks (Hendo's design). Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Finished the hearth pour today. I got up at 630 so that I could beat the sun and heat. Started at about 730 and was done by ten. "Next" time I'll have either a ramp set up so I can run a wheel barrow up to the top or just have the concrete delivered. Lots of work, but we (brother-in-law helped) finished right before the heat showed up.
    Last edited by rlf5; 08-12-2007, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Coolness!

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Rebar is cut and laid. Concrete tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Gotcha! Well I did just that today as well as complete the form for the hearth pour. I decided to go with concrete board for the middle so that it would not not have to be removed. It also made doing the center form a lot easier. It was pretty damn hot today though. I still have to cut the rebar and pour the hearth, but the latter will most likely not get done until the morning.

Leave a comment:

• Unofornaio
    replied

Yes you have got it..

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

So basically just push the bags down to the third course level so that the hearth concrete fills the empty fourth course cells? Thats no problem with me. I've come to the realization that this oven probably isn't going anywhere. If I move then it stays or gets torn down

Leave a comment:

• Unofornaio
    replied

Taking a break from moving equipment and found this in my e-mail.

Looks good so far, as fast as you put those blocks up I thought this post would include pics of pizza . I really don't know what the plans call for in the stacked block scenario but being a mason I want to tell you to at the very least if you are not going to do more cells allow the slab to fill in the cells of the top course all the way around.

I remember you saying something about "in case I have to move it" or something to that effect if that is still a concern I would fill all of the blocks and just have the slab sit on that. Either way I personally would fill all the cells, earthquakes or not since the blocks are not layed. Come on, your gonna have to get those hands nice and callused up for the brick work anyway, mix em up.

Will it be OK if you just do the first course? lets put it this way when you make the decision to not fill them go buy a lottery ticket the same day the chances of you winning are about the same as for the oven NOT being OK with no grout in the cells, but the key word is CHANCE.

Oh, by the way if you win kick me a little I can use it right now.
    Although we just gave a bid for 8000sq' of stucco stone (fake stone) the guys already got the stone so its just labor and spec mix and the stone are squares so its what we call a "lick and Stick" gig. Boy I could use it, those of you that pray, if you don't mind say a little one for me hu Id appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Finally got back to the construction. I filled the rest of the cores that will be filled. Its basically the corners and one in the middle of each wall. Is this enough or should I include more? No earthquakes down here...only hurricanes...lol. Instead of putting a 48" rod of rebar in and cutting it later, like I did the first two cores, I cut the rebar to size before putting it in the concrete. I also picked up 150 firebricks...I'll probably need more but thats all I felt comfortable hauling.
    Last edited by rlf5; 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Started and finished (for the day) filling the cores of my block stand. Mixing concrete in a 5 gallon bucket with a hammer drill and paddle mixer isn't exactly a walk in the park. I'll probably just rent a concrete mixer to do the rest of the cores, or I'll use the wheelbarrow. I only filled the left corner, with enough left over to do the first core to the left of the wood storage opening. Its really only two courses high but I filled it up anyway, and stuck a 1 foot section of rebar through it. You can't see it though b/c the block thats turned on its side is covering it. I may not have even needed to fill that core, but I had left over concrete and nothing else to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Originally posted by Archena View Post
    Looks good!

Why the out turned block, though?
    I'm embedding the thermocouple receiver box in one of the holes. I'll probably fill the other with concrete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X