Nice.
    James

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: Begining stand construction

Originally posted by james View Post
    Definitely structurally sound. :-)

Ken, is that a cantilever landing in front of the oven?
    James
    Yes. It'll be brought up to the level of the oven floor with cement board and covered with tile.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Definitely structurally sound. :-)

Ken, is that a cantilever landing in front of the oven?
    James

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    Took the concrete forms off today. Everything looks ok except for the front right corner, which is where I started shoveling cement.
    Well I'm in good company. I ended up with the exact same problem in the exact same place. I was pretty careful about working my hoe into that spot, but to no avail. Thank goodness for stucco!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    I thought I had knocked all the dead spaces out of it, but apparently I did not. Is this going to cause a problem?
    Funny you mentioned it because I'm eagerly awaiting removal of my forms to see how it looks. I have been anticipating a similar problem. Seems like it always happens somewhere on a pour (at least on MY pours!).

I'm willing to bet, from your photos, that you're structurally sound. Stucco or whatever you use for a finish should cover it up nicely.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Took the concrete forms off today. Everything looks ok except for the front right corner, which is where I started shoveling cement. Since is was the first to go down it started to dry/set before the rest of the hearth had been poured (about 1.5-2 hours). Anyway, I thought I had knocked all the dead spaces out of it, but apparently I did not. Is this going to cause a problem? There shouldn't really be any load on that point since it will end up being counter space. Is there anything I need to do? The first pic is of the whole hearth. The second of the problem corner. The last is of what the rest of the hearth looks like.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by ricflo View Post
    The only reason I was saying that is because the directions say to make the stand 72 x 84. I cant figure out how to make 16" block into 84". I can make it 88" which should be fine I think? I understand and agree with what your saying. I only need the half block for the wood storage opening.
    Okay, cool - I just thought I'd missed something.

Leave a comment:

• Unofornaio
    replied

The only reason I was saying that is because the directions say to make the stand 72 x 84. I cant figure out how to make 16" block into 84". I can make it 88" which should be fine I think? I understand and agree with what your saying. I only need the half block for the wood storage opening.

In order to make the 84" dimension you need to put in a brick.

16 X 5 = 80 + 4" brick = 84"

Remember those dimension are for layed block not dry stacked, actual measurement of a standard block is 15 1/2.

Where are you in PA? I grew up outside of Pittsburgh.

Leave a comment:

• ricflo
    replied

Thank you, I will finish the stand tomorrow. Hopefully pour the hearth Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Those dimensions are just a guide. Just get as close as you can to those dimensions w/o having to cut any blocks.

Leave a comment:

• ricflo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Why would you use half block in the back? Wouldn't you just stagger around the corner with full block?

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

I am talking about the stand. Instead of cutting block just use the half block that I purchased. So, the back wall will be 4 full block and 1 half block. Side walls will be 5 full and 1 half. Does that sound right?
    I'm sorry I meant one half block at the entire level, not per wall. I believe each level on my stand had 15 full blocks and one half block.

Leave a comment:

• ricflo
    replied

I am talking about the stand. Instead of cutting block just use the half block that I purchased. So, the back wall will be 4 full block and 1 half block. Side walls will be 5 full and 1 half. Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

ricflo:

Are you referring to the concrete blocks for the stand? If I remember correctly I used one halfblock for each course of the stand and everything worked out fine. My stand dimensions are 70x78", for a ~43" oven.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X