Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas fired

Hello all,
    Getting close to getting my 42' pompeii oven plans built and doing some last minute prep. I noticed a few threads out there that discuss how to start the fire and that some folks have used different methods for getting them going. Has anyone ever used a propane or gas log lighter/burner inside their oven. I 'm wondering if that wouldn't be a reasonable thing to do with my propane grill being nearby and have the piping put in during construction. Any thoughts out there???

Re: gas fired

It would work.

But you would need a high pressure regulator, a hose, and a way to get the fire into the oven - aka.- a burner.
    For homemade kilns most potters use the venturi burner. Probably about 40 bucks. For a pizza oven I would imagine two would get temps up faster.

And a burner requires a hole somewhere in the oven. Now if it were me I would build my oven to use wood and if I decided to use propane I would just attach a burner to a hose and regulator, and then my propane tank. Then I would just set the burner in the opening.

To check out what I mean use Google and search home made Raku Kilns.

Someone may have a better way.

But that's my 2 cents.
    Well after reading your post again.. I see that I answered the wrong question, but I'll leave this here just in case anyone wants to know about a gas fired oven.
    Last edited by asudavew; 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM. Reason: Answered the wrong question.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Before you decide on using a gas burner, you may want to read the posts at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/ba...urner#post7896 and http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...ners#post11555. You could also do a search on ?burner? to find more posts on this subject.

I first became interested in incorporating a gas burner after reading The Bread Builders book and noticing that a ?Caf? Beaujolais? uses a portable burner to raise the temperature of their oven after a bake or two, which gives them another bake without the need to build a wood fire in a hot oven. However, the burner they use (photo p207) has a sophisticated emergency gas shutoff system, which kills the gas supply in the event of flame failure.

Also, have a look at the picture below for an idea of a gas supply setup which is available here in Oz. This is for a permanent gas burner setup, rather than a portable one, but is a good indication of what?s required to satisfy the safety issues inherent with using a gas supply in an enclosed brick oven. Looks expensive and probably is ? but what price your (and your family?s) safety?

Paul.

Comment

unless your going completely gas fired it does not seem worth the trouble or expense.
        adding all this for a log starter seems a bit crazy (my opinion). Really, it only takes a couple of minutes with some kindling to get a good fire going...unless your wood is soaking wet.

Comment

Please, if you do move forward with adding gas, consult a trained professional, this does not seem the list bit a DIY add on of a burner, gas line, and regulator......none of us want to see an exploding WFO on the 6 o'clock news and the carnage it caused. Be safe

RT

Comment

I can throw my two cents in; which is that I recommend strongly against gas at home. There are the serious safety issues, which I think tip the scales. Gas in a tight, enclosed space is something that can be very dangerous. It is different than a kiln, fireplace or grill. I've never seen it personally, but I've been told that accidents do happen.

Plus, wood fires actually have a higher BTU than a gas fire, which makes wood the best way to bring a cold oven up to temperture from a standing start. For a restaurant, the task is keeping an oven at high temperature 365-days a year, but for those of us using an oven at home, our task is getting our oven up to heat as quickly as possible for a weekend party -- and wood is much faster at doing that.

Finally, a serious gas burner costs about $3,000 (with digital controls), and it really is only safe when in the hands of a professional in a controlled setting -- which does not include kids or friends.

Sorry to jump on this one.

The good news is that wood-fired ovens are safe (when done right), heat up quickly and are a lot of fun. Plus, the food tastes great. I will stop piling on.
            James
            Last edited by james; 08-29-2007, 11:25 PM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I did realize that this may a touchy issue from the purist's point of view as well as safety.

I was not thinking of using gas as my primary source of heat only to get the fire going. As I recently had my HVAC guy run the propane line out for my built in propane grill to where my outdoor kitchen is going to be, this would be the least costly time to add this item.

My brother in the Dallas area is having a brick oven built by a well known professional landscaper in that area and he actually recommended gas in the oven for convienence reasons. This got me thinking about it. I guess I will need to get some details on this oven installation as well as what safety features he is using.

Comment

Working...
              X