Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kaowool Refractory Ceramic Fiber Insulating Board

Originally posted by jpar View Post
    correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new FB board a kaowool board equivalent?
    NO! I believe FB's board is a CalSil product. It holds up well when wet.

Kaowool board turns to MUSH when wet. PLEASE don't use Kaowool Board under your oven. Get the good stuff from FB or build a vermiculite base.

(did I mention you should NOT use Kaowool Board under your oven? )
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      NO! I believe FB's board is a CalSil product. It holds up well when wet.

Kaowool board turns to MUSH when wet. PLEASE don't use Kaowool Board under your oven. Get the good stuff from FB or build a vermiculite base.

(did I mention you should NOT use Kaowool Board under your oven? )
      So.. If I am reading you correctly.
      New builders should NOT use the Kaowool board...

So.. they should use the FB CalSil product, or the vermcrete/perlcrete base.

So did you get your Kaowool board weatherproofed yet?
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

FB Board is Alu-Sil, the same basic product as FB Blanket. I have installed FB Board right next to SuperIsol in my oven here, and it is holding up fine. It have even abused it, leaving it out in the rain and pouring wet concrete all around it.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          FB Board is Alu-Sil, the same basic product as FB Blanket. I have installed FB Board right next to SuperIsol in my oven here, and it is holding up fine. It have even abused it, leaving it out in the rain and pouring wet concrete all around it.

James
          That's good for new builders to know.

Because: Ken did such beautiful brickwork. And his Kaowool board was responsible for some undeserved cracks. (and grief)

Might be a good sticky for new builders James.

How's that fireplace coming?
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

So.. If I am reading you correctly.
            New builders should NOT use the Kaowool board...

So.. they should use the FB CalSil product, or the vermcrete/perlcrete base.
            Insblock19 from HW is fine too, got mine wet repeatedly, no compression or decay.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ditto DMUN.
              Wade Lively

Comment

I was going to use the K Fac-19 boards for insulation but after getting input from the forum I have decided against it and do the vermiculite-cement mix. But the question I have is, does it make any sense at all to put down the K Fac-19 boards and then pour the vermicuite-cement mix over it or is that just plain stupid?
                Tony

Comment

I work for a company that manufactures ovens. We use the Kaowool insulation boards in several ovens we make. That particular board is good up to around 1050 deg C. It is fairly soft and is not meant to be rubbed or abraided. You are correct as to the ability to absorb. If you want to use this insulation in the application I see here, you should treat the board with Rigidizer. It is a clear fluid that when dried, makes the board like a brick. You will have to apply this ridigizer with a chip brush using quick strokes, since the board will suck the liquid right out of the brush. Alteratively you can spray it, in an extracted spray booth, using a mask. The more ridigizer you use, the stronger the result, but the longer it takes to dry. We usually bake the board in our powder coat oven after applying it. Our needs only require about a 1/4 skin of ridigizer. We have made smaller pieces that we have dipped in the 5 gal pail (also sold in quarts) and baked. It came out like a brick. Make sure you have the shape you want before treating this stuff.

Also, one other note: Be sure to use a good mask when cutting this material. It is not good for your lungs.

Turbocouch

Comment

Hi Turbocouch. I sure wish you were around 3 years ago when I bought and used the stuff! I don't think our local dealer really understood the behavior of the board (nor did they completely understand my application - lots of strange looks!).

Oh well.... The board seems to have stabilized and my oven performs beautifully now
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

If you ever have the need to pull the stove/furnace, you can always treat it then. Don't buy the rigidizer until you need it, as it does not store well. It tends to evaporate unless the lid seal is PERFECTLY clean. We always have an issue when we store it for more than 6 months, unless someone is very careful to clean the lid and the container lip. It's not real cheap, but once treated, it should last forever. We normally buy it in a 5 gal pail, but I think they will ship a gallon as well. Smaller quantities were made available to us as a sample (a quart) because we were planning to buy several cases of the Kaowool and we are an oven OEM.

You could also treat the edge that is exposed until you have the time to do it right, but be careful of it staining the floor. Waxpaper or flashing and tape may be slipped underneath to minimize this. Tell the manufacturer you are considering making ovens using their material, and you need a sample quart/liter of the rigidizer. It can't hurt to try. If you need a phone number, I'll look it up at work. Just post a request and I'll respond.

Thanks,

Turbocouch

Comment

Working...
                      X