This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Insulation Efficiency

heavy-weight coating do tend to compress the blanket,in my opinion.
    glad to be here with all you guys ,I like to make friends here ,my job is sth like tool steel.shipbuilding plateandwood chips,have fun!!!

Comment

A question for the insulation gurus...

I'm building a 36" pompeii, corner installation against existing frame/stucco walls of my home...on an outdoor patio.

My current design calls for exterior walls of oven (pre-insulation) to be 5" from existing stucco. So...I have 5" to insulate.

Question 1: From what I've read, 4" of insulation blanket should be sufficient to keep heat off of existing stucco wall, which would in turn keep my house from burning down. Sound right?

Question 2: Assuming question 1 is correct, is there some sort of board that I should tack on the existing stucco to provide an extra layer of protection?

Bonus question! Is there some other way to crack this nut that I'm not thinking of??

Thanks, all.

S

Comment

Thanks...googling the hardie backer board. Curious...any info on its insulation qualities? I don't know much about "R" values...but the 1/4" backer board has an R value of 0.13. What does that give me?

S

Comment

I think various concrete backer boards have next to no insulation value. They're concrete with some sort of fiber.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The ceramic blanket that James sells rocks as an insulator. I don't know what the R value is but my oven ( igloo style) is never more than 5 degrees above ambient temp on the outside. I used 4" on the top and 3" on the sides. It is definitely worth the money.
            Eric

Comment

Hi, I mixed my insulating hearth layer 5 parts vermi to 1 part portland with just enough water to allow it to hold together as a clump in your hand when squeezed.
              The problem is that after 3 days it is still slightly spongy, is this normal?
              Will it ever become hard?
              Thanks , Kyle

Comment

It will never have the MPa that normal concrete gets, iit is an insulative material so it will be softish/crumbly. but, will be fine for building upon.

Comment

Thanks! Tha is what I was thinking but just waned to check before I go to he next step of laying down the floor.

Comment

Sorry about the missing "t's" in that last post.

Comment

I have poured a 4" (5 to1 ) vemiculite and portland insulation layer on my hearth. Since then, I have been given enough 2" calcium silicate board to cover the oven floor area. Is this material (which seems to be every bit as substantial as the vermicrete and has a rating of 1280 degrees) suitable for the floor of a WFO?
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

yep thats the stuff, it's almost made for it! Have a great time building it.

Comment

here are some pics of our oven with bricks laid on top in herringbone fashion.

Comment

Thanks Tinaloven,
                            I'm starting tomorrow on the floor. I hope, that between the 4" of vermicrete and the 2" of "calsil", I have the floor insulation covered.

PS: The muticolored red firebrick look great. I have to settle for yellow "clones".
                            Last edited by Gulf; 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM. Reason: more info
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              I have poured a 4" (5 to1 ) vemiculite and portland insulation layer on my hearth. Since then, I have been given enough 2" calcium silicate board to cover the oven floor area. Is this material (which seems to be every bit as substantial as the vermicrete and has a rating of 1280 degrees) suitable for the floor of a WFO?
                              No, it is not suitable for the floor of a WFO, but it is suitable to use under the floor. If you got it free why not place a 2" layer of it over the vermicrete then use your firebricks over the top. Then you will have an extremely well insulated floor. 2" of Cal. Sil. Board is approx. twice as good an insulator as the 4" 5:1 vermicrete. But you will end up with the floor 2" higher than you had planned.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Installing under fire brick for sure. I have seen references to FB board, ceramic fiber board, etc. I just wasn't sure if calcium silicate was appropriate for insulating the floor. I'm glad to find out that it is. I'll proceed and install it on top of the vermicrete.

Thanks tinaloven and david s

Comment

Working...
                                X