X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Insulation Efficiency

Originally posted by sayre View Post
    could anyone explain how to attach the insulating blanket to to the dome and how the outer dome wolud be attached to that ? I was thinking of using used red brick for the exterior.

Thanks
    Gudday
    I attached a brick exterior veneer over a render shell over the insulation. You might want a neater finish but I'm pleased with a more rustic finish
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      If your support is a concrete slab, you can place the insulating material directly on that, then the fire brick hearth upon the insulation.
      Did you get my email about insulating my pizza oven.
      Thanks
      Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by dallas2 View Post
        Did you get my email about insulating my pizza oven.
        Thanks
        Dallas
        Yes, I did. I replied by private mail, please check.

Comment

The insulation blanket draps over the oven and around the chimmey. You can then help hold it in place with chicken wire. You then can put your mortar over this, the chicken wire will act as reinforcment for the mortar.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
            Yes, I did. I replied by private mail, please check.
            Hi Dallas,
            Did you receive my private mail? If not, I was under the impression that you were referring to you oven floor, not the dome. Am I right. If you meant your dome, then another layer of fire bricks are not used over the insulation. You can use stucco to maintain the igloo shape or you can build an enclosure for it and add additional insulation.

Comment

Gary,

I put fire clay powder and mixed it with water and put it on top of slab and then placed the fire brick on the fire clay powder mix. I hope that retains the heat for the pizza oven floor. I will take the face brick off tomorrow and put the blanket on Monday. I found a place in Dallas Texas that sells it. I will double it up. It is 8#. Thanks for all your help. I been a home builder in East Texas for 35 years.

Regards
              Dallas dallasnicholshomes.com

Comment

Gary,

I still have 2 bags of the fire clay powder can I put it on top of the fire brick dome instead of the blanket. If so how thick do I apply the fire clay powder. I has a temp shield of 2300 degrees. Then I will let it dry for a couple days and then lay the face brick on top of the fire clay mortor.
                Please let me know.Thanks again Dallas

Comment

Gary,

I still have 2 bags of the fire clay powder can I put it on top of the fire brick dome instead of the blanket. If so how thick do I apply the fire clay powder. I has a temp shield of 2300 degrees. Then I will let it dry for a couple days and then lay the face brick on top of the fire clay mortor.
                  The fireclay will not act particularly well as an insulating layer on its own. You need to use the blanket or vermiculite or perlite. A layer of clay only will have a similar thermal conductivity to that of brick. So if the only insulation you have between your floor bricks and the supporting slab is the clay layer then you will lose a lot of your floor heat. Likewise a thin clay layer over the dome will do little to hold in the heat of the dome.

What plans are you following?
                  Last edited by david s; 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gary,
                    I have decided to use vermiculite. What is the mix rate with Portland cement. my pizza dome is appox. 16 sq ft. So how much vermiculite to Portland . You put the water in gently. Correct?

Thanks for all your help, Dallas

Comment

Gary,
                      I have decided to use vermiculite. What is the mix rate with Portland cement. my pizza dome is appox. 16 sq ft. So how much vermiculite to Portland . You put the water in gently. Correct?

Thanks for all your help, Dallas
                      Gary,
                      My pizza oven has concrete floor for the base with 1/2 inch fire clay refractory on top of concrete, followed a layer of firebrick. So am I loosing to much heat at the floor? Let me know, if so I will take the dome out and start all over. The dome height is 17.5 inches. So I can't do vermiculite and then another layer of fire brick with current setup. Let me know what I need to do. I do appreciate all your help.

Comment

Gary,

I put fire clay powder and mixed it with water and put it on top of slab and then placed the fire brick on the fire clay powder mix. I hope that retains the heat for the pizza oven floor. I will take the face brick off tomorrow and put the blanket on Monday. I found a place in Dallas Texas that sells it. I will double it up. It is 8#. Thanks for all your help. I been a home builder in East Texas for 35 years.

Regards
                        Dallas dallasnicholshomes.com
                        Gary,

Gary,
                        My pizza oven has concrete floor for the base with 1/2 inch fire clay refractory on top of concrete, followed a layer of firebrick. So am I loosing to much heat at the floor? Let me know, if so I will take the dome out and start all over. The dome height is 17.5 inches. So I can't do vermiculite and then another layer of fire brick with current setup. Let me know what I need to do. I do appreciate all your help.
                        This sounds like another doomed to fail oven that will never retain any heat and use a forest of firewood just to get warm.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Dallas,

At what point are you, on your construction? Do you have photos? I hope that you're not at point of no return, where the best solution is to start over and if you are, its better to start over.

Comment

Laurentius,

I still have not heard back from you. Im down to the foundation slab. I have plenty of heat blanket. So what do we do next and then next and next to the finish Thanks
                            Dallas From East Texas the oven is 4x5 ft

Comment

Laurentius,

I still have not heard back from you. Im down to the foundation slab. I have plenty of heat blanket. So what do we do next and then next and next to the finish Thanks
                              Dallas From East Texas the oven is 4x5 ft
                              Do you know how to open your private messages? See the Welcome, Dallas2, below is Private Messages. Double click that and it will take you to your messages.

Comment

Has anyone used dried rice as an insulator for the floor? filled a pot with rice and tossed it on the stove for about a half hour and it blackened the rice touching the pot, but about a half inch off the surface of the pot, the rice was barely warm, an inch off the pot wall, the rice was cool to the touch and was cool all the way through the center. Just an idea I had due to the fact that I have not seen vermiculite for sale here in Peru, but rice is as common as flies here.

Comment

Working...
                                X