Foundation measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation measures

Hello to everybody, my name is Carlo and new on the forum, I am an Italian in Minnesota! can you immagine?
    I am planning to build a 36" Florence dome and pour the foundation on top of the pavers of the pation that I am just finishing.
    My question is regarding the measures on the oven stand and consequently the foundation.
    On the table (Forno Bravo) page 13 vre. 1.2

Interior 36" 36"
    Exterior 45" 45"

Insulation 10" 5"
    Upper Wall 8" 4"
    Vent Landing 0 4"
    Oven Landing 0 12"
    Total 63" 70"

the difference between "interior 36" and exterior 45" is 9".....if we cut the dome bricks in half, should this distance be less? Practically half of the lenght of the brick? Or this measurement assumes that we do not cut the bricks in half? Thanks for your help!!!! Ciao Carlo
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Re: Foundation measures

Hi Carlo, and welcome!

While I'm no expert yet, I think I can answer your question.

Although the bricks are cut in half (4.5 inches), once they are positioned, you will have that thickness all the way around your circle, except at the opening - that's 4.5 X 2 (= 9 ) inches extra from almost any direction around your perimeter.

And that's just the extra width that's added by the bricks - then there's the thickness of the mortar and whatever insulation you choose, plus any finish cladding - all somewhat individual for each oven, depending on the builder's preference. You may also want some extra space too, to use as a place to park pans and cooking accessories.

The bottom line is to think it over and decide what you want and need, then calculate carefully before you pour your foundation. Good luck !

Sarah

Comment

Carlo- benvenuto

I am planning to build a 36" Florence dome and pour the foundation on top of the pavers of the patio that I am just finishing.
      >Are the pavers set in sand or on the ground? or are they on a concrete slab?
      You might want to re-think this part. Pavers in sand on natural or filled base are not stable enough for this. Being in Minnesota you really should use a footing approved for your areas conditions.

Italian Version: I lastricatori sono regolati in sabbia o sulla terra? o sono su una lastra di cemento armato?
      Potreste desiderare ripensare questo divisorio. I lastricatori in sabbia sulla base naturale o riempita non sono abbastanza stabili per questo. Essendo nel Minnesota voi realmente dovrebbe usare un basamento approvato per i vostri termini di zone
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

First of all thanks to Sarah, who caught right away my stupid measure mistake...I guess this happens when yuo look too much into things...thanks!

Then regarding the foundation concern from "Fornaio" here is the deal:
        the patio is just being finished and is on top of 2-3 feet of pounded gravel and sand. My concern was the weight, but I have been told from the builer that I could drive a truck on top without any problem; that's the way they build patio here...
        On top I'll pour a 5-6" slab of concrete, which will be a floating slab on the pavers, the pavers are also stronger than concrete.
        A friend of mine built a huge oven, 3-4 times heavier than the 36" Florence, on a floating 5" slab, in Minnesota, and it is still there. I think I should be better as I have the gravel foundation. But the time will tell! Thanks for your advice! Carlo
        Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Not a stupid mistake at all - I went throught the same things just before I got started (about a month ago)! Just glad I could help.
          Post some pictures once you get going.

Sarah

Comment

First of all thanks to Sarah, who caught right away my stupid measure mistake...
            >As Sara stated not stupid at all. Measurements are going to rule your life from beginning to end of this project.

Then regarding the foundation concern from "Fornaio" here is the deal:
            the patio is just being finished and is on top of 2-3 feet of pounded gravel and sand. My concern was the weight, but I have been told from the builer that I could drive a truck on top without any problem; that's the way they build patio here...
            On top I'll pour a 5-6" slab of concrete, which will be a floating slab on the pavers, the pavers are also stronger than concrete.
            >With that much base a 3 1/2" slab over the pavers will be more than sufficient for this, all the slab does is distribute the weight over a greater footprint.
            http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

New question on the foundation for a 36" oven:
              On the Forno Bravo instruction page 59 Ver. 1.2 Material list 36" oven it states:

(8) 10' lengths of 1/2" rebar, (4) cut to 80";(4) cut to 94"
              (4) 2"x6"x8' studs for framing, (2) cut to 83";(2) cut to 94"

My question is, if the slab is only 71x80", why do I need such longer rebar and stud framing?
              Am I missing something? thanks Carlo
              Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Working...
              X